olympus

Reborn =)

I feel as though I've ben reborn! I completed my first tandom jump the other day, and I'm already signed up for AFF classes. These classes along with my 20jumps WILL be completed soon, for I am lucky at present-day, having ample amounts of time with money saved up to do so. I've been researching this for several months now, but I'm still at a standstill. I'm curious as to what to buy for my first rig. I don't want to rush anything, but I would like to go ahead and purchase one. I don't want to purchase some student lvl rig for $1000-$1500 and turn around and have to get another one for $2000-$3000 in a couple of months or so. My weight is approximately 175-180lbs(it fluctuates!). I've noticed a lot of people raving about the Sun Path products, but I just really don't know. Give me some knowledge on the matter please! Any help would be greatly appreciated 8P

The problem is you will need to buy another rig to replace your first rig after only a few months if you keep on jumping. Student gear quickly may become boring, but smaller gear is dangerous till you build the skills to use it. My advice, rent as long as you can until you get 25-30 jumps and can have a better feel for what you want to buy. If you buy for that level right now, you'll hurt yourself big time while learning the basics like flat turns, ZP flares, PLF's, crosswinders,standing up landings,ect. Something around 190ish for a main and reserve should be cool after a minimum of 30 jumps. When you get to this point post here again and we can help more based on your flying style and future wants of the gear.
PhreeZone
Canopy Nazi #2
I'm not sure what to put here right now.....

You just asked a huge question.
Plan on doing your first dozen jumps on (290 square foot) student parachutes that you rent from your local skydiving school.
The second step is to rent a series of progressively smaller parachutes from your school or local parachute retailer. By the time you have made 30 jumps, you will have progressed to parachutes in the 190 square foot range. By then you can make informed decisions about what style, size and color of parachute you want to buy.
I want to emphasize that jump numbers are just rough guidelines. It really depends upon how soon you master parachute flying skills.
As for your friends recommending Sun Path products, Sun Path is the current leader in harness/container sales. SP's Javelin harness/containers have lead the market for the last few years, and they are good containers. Just don't let brand name fixation blind to to good deals on equally airworthy harnesses from other manufacturers.
You can start your homework today by reading through gear reviews on the other side of www.dropzone.com. All that information is a bit intimidating at first, so it will take a few months to absorb.

What they said.
Also, another benefit to renting equipment is you'll find out what fits your body better (although if you go custom you don't need to worry about that so much).
I know Square1 has a demo program, where you deposit a certain amount of cash and can "rent" for free all the equipment they have in your size. This will give you a really good feel for the type of equipment you will want to buy. And once the choice is made of equipment, the original deposit $$ are credited toward the purchase cost. That's the plan I will be using in the near future (I only have 25 jumps).
Talk to your jm's, talk to the gear store about a demo program, and wait on making decisions.
Ciels-
Michele
"What of the dreams that never die? Turn to your left at the end of the sky".
~e e cummings~

First dozen? as in after you graduated your Progression? I guess it depends on what your local DZ has available. I trained at a DZ that is a Icarus Demo Center and by jump 9 was on a Safire 189 (exit weight is 185). Bought used gear to get me through my growing pains, Its amazing what an Mirage M05 can safely have as a main, from a 210 ZP all the way to 135 ZP (it was in a 170 D Bag though). Then when your comfortable after a full season you can get into the more fun stuff and a rig that actually sits in the small of your back and not on you butt.
As for containers, i read everything everywhere i could, but then i talked to alot of the different Riggers on the dropzone and talked to them about gear lasting and how strong reserve deployment is, and Also looked at what they themselves jumped. I found Racers, Javelin and Mirages. They seem to be the superior rigs on the market right now.
Jonathan Bartlett
[email protected]
C-31802

Read, study, immerse yourself in the sport, but wait till you complete your AFF and then some before buying a rig.
THEN, jump many different rigs, talk to experienced jumpers...take your time.
Your rig is kinda like a marriage partner, a long engagement helps make for a better union. I know too many people (myself included) that have let their enthusiasm replace the need for experience and regreted the purchase of their first rig. Good luck!
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

Talk to your JM. He/she has seen your abilities and will best be able to advise you on your next steps.
I may have had a cinderella story, but the guy I logged my first eight or 10 jumps with was Kevin Gibson, USPA director of Pubs and one of the spearheads for the new SIM. Me being all about toys and gadgets, I talked to him constantly about gear. I bought a rig on ebay after my third jump. (Older stuff, but the Cypress and Raven were what I was really after and for a grand, who could go wrong?) Kevin's a rigger, so he updated everything and advised me to get a newer canopy than the Maverick 200. Also, the Vector container had no RSL so I figured I may not jump it until after student status was over.
I was really patient and did lots of homework and searching. I ended up lucking into a 75-jump Silhouette 210 from the dz.com classifieds for about half the price of a new one (thanks Hank). I also found an Infinity (standard RSL) container to replace the Vector. Piecing all this together was a little tricky because stuff has to fit in/around other stuff, right? Everything went together like a dream.
Anyway, a few months later, on jump 10, I was on my own gear and loving it. I was then and am still loading my canopy at about 1.1:1--a slight size step-up from the 1:1 230 spectre I was jumping.
I know I will outgrow this rig. It will probably be the first of many, but I accept that willingly.
The upsides to ME (everybody is different) owning my own gear as I have seen them are:
1) I knew what I was getting into because I was immersing myself in the subject.
2) I assembled my rig and had my rigger go over everything with me to correct my mistakes, so I know what everything inside that black backpack looks like and why it's there.
3) I could practice packing on my floor at home with my own gear.
4) Gear was a great conversation starter between myself and UpJumpers--I am kind of shy.
5) I saved $20 bucks a jump on the ten ensuing student jumps. If I was to rent equipment until I hit jump #35, that's $500. That's also a used reserve canopy.
Like I said, talk to the people you trust in the sky to help you get your new life started.
Hope I helped,
mike