3fLiEr

The time it takes to get under a Reserve

I have a question - I want to know from peoples experiences, knowledge, readings, findings, tests et cetera et cetera the time / height you will get under a reserve at a sub terminal deployment and a terminal deployment - yes I know various factors will have to be taken into account - but please lets just speak generally before you flame me. Just humour me for a moment.....
Discuss-
1) Deployment from terminal freefall
2) immediate deployment from a cutaway or low speed aircraft exit (sub terminal)
Just me being curious having never had a reserve ride in 350 jumps............ Nice !
BSBD

Note I was probably getting time distortion. My snivly main was having a spinning malfunction as I slowed down and the main was open but spinning my dytter was flatlining (2500'). I was spinning on my back as it flat lined and struggled a little to try and kick out of about 4 complete line twists (maybe 2 seconds). I chopped and pulled reserve (no rsl) probably 1 second after chop.(very subterminal).
My estimate is I chopped at 2300-2100 and after I got my thoughts together, looked at my reserve and my handles and probably looked around be-wildered I looked at my altimeter 1600 '.
My guess is it opened in about 400-500' and it was not hard.
I know someone who had some sort of faster malfunction and estimates they pulled their reserve at 400' AGL (could be exageration), they flared with the risers as they could not clear the brakes before landing.
bloo ones
ramon

Both of my malfunctions were sub-terminal:
Mal #1 Spinning mal on a Sabre 210 caused by a hottie redhead distracting me while I was setting my brakes. I was watching my altimeter and was under my Dash-M 249 in a bit over 300 feet.
Mal #2 VERY high-speed spinning mal on my new Heatwave 190. I was also watching my altimeter on this one (Hey, it's a good habit :) and I was under my PD-176R just over 200 feet later.
Kris

Yes, we expect your PD126 to open in less than 500 feet if you are sub terminal.
The only reserves we do not expect to open that quickly are tandem reserves. Because of the extra weight and surface area, tandem reserves are allowed a bit more time to open.
I have opened one Strong tandem reserve at terminal, and trust me, you don't want tandem reserves to open any quicker!