prost

New Precision Canopies

Does anyone have any info on the new Precision Canopies. I was told they were supposed to be at Quincy this week, but I was not able to go. If anyone has jumped them or knows when demos will be out I would like to here from you.

I don't have anymore information than what is in the rags, The Xaos is the first to be released, followed by the Nitron. I am interested in the Nitron which is a Profile Research Nitro. It has stablizers that are part end cell which make it part of the wing. Its also has continous lines (not cascaded) to prevent cell / wing deformation. There is also a new aramid fiber being used for the lines, which makes tiny lines, but lines have to support less being non-casaded. The canopy sounds good in theory, but I yet to try one (Not enough experience). A jumpmaster I know said the one he flew always opened easy and on heading. The other Ground Zero canopies will be released one by one through this year and next year. There should be some demos at the U.S. Pond Swooping National at the Ranch. At least this is what I was told.

A friend of mine jumps a Nitro 108. It is a very strange canopy indeed, but definitely in the high performance range.
The stabilizercells are bizarre and the direct lines look really odd with so many connections at the riser. It utilizes coarser zp fabric similar to the triathlon so it's easier to pack when it's new.
One point on the Aramid lines. I have heard that this material was rejected in the past for parachute lines because it has poor resistance to UV radiation and abrasion. Does anyone know what has changed?

about 4 years ago we built the first prototypes of the nitro as a sub contractor. i am not sure where they are made now, i think somewhere in shri lanka.
the winglets do not function to reduce drag (as they should), rather they were necessary to add stability.
non cascaded lines add drag (lines are the second highest source of drag on a canopy).
but also reduce the chance of loosing control when you snap a kevlar line or two...
this was not a design we wanted to produce.
sincerely,
dan
atair

The nitro, I believe, compensates for the added drag of more lines by making the lines themselves shorter. This combined with the low aspect ratio of the canopy (compared to high performance ellipticals) makes it look a little oddly shaped above your head.
I've heard that the Nitro, Crossfire, and Cobalt are all based on a similar airfoil concept, although I'm sure cobaltdan will tell us that the Cobalt is completely unique. I'm wondering, specifically if the Crossfire and Cobalt are also low aspect ratio compared to Stilletos and Extremes.

cobalt aspect ratio is 2.83
icarus vx we measured at 2.78
btw our prototype onxy (cross braced) is a 3.5 aspect ratio.
all icarus canopies use a stilletto airfoil. i was told this first hand by gyro.
the cobalt does uses a different airfoil and uses "tensioned skin technology" to create
a lower distortion airfoil that more closely matches the modeled shape.
sincerely,
dan
atair

There was a short article in Skydiving Magazine. Basically the XAOS 21 appears to be an FX clone (I guess we can assume that the 27 will be a VX clone), however George Galloway says he has made improvements in the nose and crossbracing. They are also experimenting with new line material an aramid fiber and continuous lines (better canopy shape and more drag, but thinner lines would be less drag and so may balance out). He says the demos being jumped have 1000 jumps on the same lines.
Shaylan Allman did win the distance event at Perris on a Xaos21 but we all know consistency and luck really come in to play at one of those events (unless you're Jim Slaton and place in every event every time..ha ha ha)
bloo skies
ramon