Jimbo

Reserve Openings Distances?

Let's see. Cut away at 5k. Problems immediately, but no cut-away for at least 10 seconds - tried to correct, then determine the garbage was uncorrectable (spinning mal). Pull red. Elevator feeling for all of a mind's flash - long enough to determine that I was in freefall again, pull silver, then bang. Probably about 2 seconds from a sub-terminal speed at about 4,000 feet. Next time I looked at my alti, I was under a good canopy, at just a hair less than 3,000.
Third jump and a reserve ride yesterday, so still pretty fresh. Can't rely too much on my time-frames, tho, because everything went so fast AND so slow at the same time. And I don't know how to do the math really well.
Hope this helps.
Michele

i had a sub terminal opening of my raven II and it took no time to open from when i pulled to when it opened very quickly....the video is in the vault here on dz.com..... listen for the velcrow sounds to see from when i pulled to when it opened....

"if dreams are like movies, then memories are like films about ghosts"-counting crows

A reserve can take any where from 150 to 500 feet to open depending upon your airspeed and direction of travel.
TSO drop tests are routinely done from 250 - 300 feet. Most test canopies are open several seconds before they land. The low altitude makes it really easy to see if test articles passed the FAA's 3 second rule and you don't have to chase the test articles very far.
On the other hand, if you are at 500 feet exceeding the - placarded airspeed limits - you might get a reserve open before impact.