tombuch

"My Stuff"

If it is a design change (and not simply a migration ommission) then it takes away alot from the community feel on here. We're not just cyber handles. We actually meet and spend time with many others from the community. Loosing names would take this place closer towards a cyber only feel.

I'm hopeful that it's just an error during the migration as there's still a place to enter our full first and last names when editing our own profiles, so it doesn't appear that HH is moving towards encouraging anonymity (though of course the fields are still optional, so anonymity is still allowed).

Also, I just checked - Premier members can still do a search by First and Last name and the search will pull correct results even though the name won't be displayed on the profile.

I'm hopeful that the user's real names (or at least the real name that the user supplies) will reappear soon because I agree that it's an important part of the community for those who choose to actively participate in it online and offline.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I agree that it should come back and I'm sure this i just one more bug that needs worked out after moving to a whole new CSS templete set for the site.

I also don't like how the non-instructor ratings are just lumped in as "Otjher" instead of being on their own line.

Another bug is under the map it has a 2 lines for the check boxes and it only needs one. Specifically the check box for users is on its own line and it needs to be beside the users tag.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Gosh do I hate the recent change that places "My Stuff" in the top left. It completely alters the way the page formats and makes it tough for me to navigate. See the attached screen grab.

My monitor is a portrait display (unusual, I know), and the addition of the My Stuff block pushes everything else to the right, requiring that I use the bottom scroll bar to read or write posts. That's really inconvenient and adds a huge amount of mouse movement to page navigation. The change appears to have happened early Sunday morning, April 27.

Hey Tom,

97.05% of our users currently visit DZ.com with screen resulotions of 1024x768 and higher which is in line with current web trends. For this reason we've started to optimize our pages for that display size. If you're still viewing the site with a 800x600 screen the layout will unfortunately not be optimized for your display.

That being said, I've added an option that will allow you to turn off the sidebar on the left. See here.

That should help you on the forum pages. You will however see a gradual shift in the entire site over time towards a design that's optimized for 1024x768 screens.

Hope that helps. :)
Safe swoops
Sangiro

97.05% of our users currently visit DZ.com with screen resulotions of 1024x768 and higher which is in line with current web trends. For this reason we've started to optimize our pages for that display size. If you're still viewing the site with a 800x600 screen the layout will unfortunately not be optimized for your display.

Thanks for the change. It really helps!

A bit more information than you probably want to know…

My monitor is a Mag Innovations 15” flat panel that rotates to either portrait or landscape using Pivot Pro software. It’s friggin AWSOME! I bought it at a Best Buy in 2001 where they had it on sale for just under $250. It was an amazing value, especially for that time. I haven’t seen a similar product anyplace close to that price point since.

Unfortunately, as you correctly note, screen resolution is an issue. It’s currently set to 768x1024 with 16 bit color, which is about the only setting that works in the portrait mode. It kills me with some other programs too (Google Earth, for example), but I’m willing to live with the negatives since it is such an outstanding monitor for most basic applications. You should really see how absolutely amazing this thing is sitting on my desk, taking up minimum real estate, displaying documents in full just as they would appear on paper, and displaying most web pages with far better formatting that more closely matches the way we generally view the world.

Of course your site isn’t the only one moving to optimization for greater screen resolutions. At some point I will need a new monitor, and will probably have to give up the portrait display option in favor of price. I’m putting that off for as long as I can.

Thanks again for making the change.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Gosh do I hate the recent change that places "My Stuff" in the top left. It completely alters the way the page formats and makes it tough for me to navigate. See the attached screen grab.

My monitor is a portrait display (unusual, I know), and the addition of the My Stuff block pushes everything else to the right, requiring that I use the bottom scroll bar to read or write posts. That's really inconvenient and adds a huge amount of mouse movement to page navigation. The change appears to have happened early Sunday morning, April 27.

Hey Tom,

That being said, I've added an option that will allow you to turn off the sidebar on the left. See here.

That should help you on the forum pages. You will however see a gradual shift in the entire site over time towards a design that's optimized for 1024x768 screens.

Hope that helps. :)

It helps, but it's still not good. As the attached screen image shows, the text is still truncated on the right, requiring massive amounts of right-scrolling during a dropzone.com viewing session. Ugh.

John, type to adjust your screen resolution to 1024x768 and then increase the size of the font in Netscape.

Now we're getting somewhere.

When I increase text size (Ctrl ++) in Netscape, it not only increases the text size for readability, but it also readjusts the box size to fit the screen so that there is no more truncation on the right.

Thanks for that great tip. Woohoo!

I just wish I didn't have to do this special settings change just to view Dropzone.com, while everything else I do is fine with the old settings.

Isn't there some way to make the software fill the screen properly, dynamically, based upon each individual monitor's own resolution size?

I was going to attach images of "before" & "after", but for some reason, the "after" screen image capture still shows the tiny print version, even though I'm looking at the larger print version. So there's no way to capture it with Ctrl-PrintScr...

John, the new design is for 1024*768, it dynamically scales for everything larger then that. Smaller then that it does not do a and then it leads to the issues you are seeing. 800*600 is on its way out for web design with only 3-8 percent of the population using it and its dropping fast everyday with newer monitors that are larger. Years ago everything was designed for 640*480 then it moved to 800*600, now the largest population is using 1024*768 or higher. Sangiro says 97% or more are using that or a higher resolution on here.

With in the next year I predict you will see almost all websites using the 1024*768 format and some using even higher.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com