slotperfect

Have You Read The Forum Rules?

This question came up in another thread. I thought I would throw it out there as a poll. I chose this forum because it would get bombarded with one-liners and noise in Bonfire.

Please use this thread to develop feedback about the Forum Rules, not to debate their content. Serious replies only, please.

Thanks for your input!
Arrive Safely

John

I understand not wanting the thread to get all bonfire goofy, but it would probibly get a lot more exposure. Maybe it would get some others to think before thier next post as well.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I understand not wanting the thread to get all bonfire goofy, but it would probibly get a lot more exposure. Maybe it would get some others to think before thier next post as well.

I really don't want the kind of exposure it will get in Bonfire, and it would drift instantly into one-liners and nothing but noise.
Arrive Safely

John

Skimmed them from time to time. I'd say I understand what I did read, but didn't read them all the way through.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Just like NWFlyer, Ive not read them all the way through.... I do go back time to time when my posting might or is borderline...

Why havent I read it all the way through? To be honest I have a short attention span and the rules are almost like the "user agreements" to me....
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

didn't read them all the way through.

So . . . why not?

Didn't get bored enough. :D

Seriously, I figured that the forum rules are pretty similar to most other web site user agreements; I've actually written/revised those for my previous job, so I've read a lot of them. I don't go out of my way to make waves/break rules. I approach these forums as I approach my real life - I exist as a member of a community, and I'm an invited guest on here. I don't stir shit for the sake of stirring shit. I don't generally need to read the rules to know how to behave like a decent human being.

I guess that is the overall problem. We see so many end user agreements now adays that most people just read the first couple of lines if that, and then click ok even though they didn't read everything. It is kinda like thos liability waivers at dropzones... great personal injury blah blah blah you cannot sue the drop zone operation blah blah blah. you can die blah blah blah no one can sue on your behalf... With a lot of stuff the only diferences are where you put you initials and yor signiature.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

The Terms of Use are to me more like the "User Agreements" you both speak of. The Forum Rules give more insight into the purpose of this online community and how it can be achieved.

True enough.

So I just went and read the forum rules. There are a few things very specific to this forum (no personal attacks, no references to pedophilia, no advertising, etc.) that I had either read when I skimmed the forum rules the first time, or had picked up when others referenced them in the forums.

The rest, I think, goes back to what I said in my previous post.

"I don't go out of my way to make waves/break rules. I approach these forums as I approach my real life - I exist as a member of a community, and I'm an invited guest on here. I don't stir shit for the sake of stirring shit. I don't generally need to read the rules to know how to behave like a decent human being."

However, I can totally understand the need for specific forum rules. Some people will come here and try to follow both the spirt and the letter of the "law," others will do whatever they can to push the edges of the letter of the law and will completely disregard the spirit of the law. For those folks, any community and its moderators probably need a very specific set of rules to point to when they're explaining why "you can't play here anymore."

But while we're on the topic of reading forum rules... let's talk about the Incident forum rules. I, personally, would like to see MORE of a public smackdown on people who don't follow the rules of that forum. It is very specific and the rules come up every time you post, and yet we still see people who don't follow the forum rules.

When I see new posts in incidents, I sigh and wonder "is it real or did someone screw up?" Seems like lately, there's been a lot of mis-categorized posts. Maybe there's behind-the-scenes reprimands going on, but when posts that aren't reporting on an incident don't 1) get moved and 2) have a moderator specifically explain why they're moved, well, we end up with more noise in that forum.

That's the one forum that should be noise-free.

First of all, thanks for being yourself. Many people choose to be other than who they really are in these forums - you obviously choose to be true to yourself.

Thanks for your contribution to this thread. This reply of yours is exactly why I posted it.

others will do whatever they can to push the edges of the letter of the law and will completely disregard the spirit of the law. For those folks, any community and its moderators probably need a very specific set of rules to point to when they're explaining why "you can't play here anymore."

That is exactly why this thread and it's parent came up in the first place. We Moderators spend an awful lot of time dealing with the noise in the Forums themselves, via PMs with the people concerned, and discussing the situations amongst ourselves.

let's talk about the Incident forum rules. I, personally, would like to see MORE of a public smackdown on people who don't follow the rules of that forum. It is very specific and the rules come up every time you post, and yet we still see people who don't follow the forum rules.

When I see new posts in incidents, I sigh and wonder "is it real or did someone screw up?" Seems like lately, there's been a lot of mis-categorized posts. Maybe there's behind-the-scenes reprimands going on, but when posts that aren't reporting on an incident don't 1) get moved and 2) have a moderator specifically explain why they're moved, well, we end up with more noise in that forum.

That's the one forum that should be noise-free.

I completely agree. I don't moderate that forum, but those who do are very diligent about keeping that forum clear of noise and off-topic stuff. The Mods are even chosen from different parts of the world to increase the likelihood of an Incidents Mod being available around the clock. Even so, people still ignore the specific rules that pop up for every post.
Arrive Safely

John

ok So up untill a few minutes ago I have never read the forum rules. Took me a while to find them, but that is only because I didn't notice that small text in the sub bar under the forums tab where the rules link is, maybe we could put the rules on the initial forums selection page, and that may encourage more people to read it because it will be big in thier face, and hard to miss and dismiss.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

maybe we could put the rules on the initial forums selection page, and that may encourage more people to read it because it will be big in thier face, and hard to miss and dismiss.

Maybe like this? ;)

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1008570;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread
Remster