BillyVance

Members who have never logged in

I got curious looking at the statistics of our members in the member lists, and was amazed at how many members listed had never logged on, nearly 188 pages worth of members! http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=user_list;page=188;sb=user_last_seen;so=ASC;mh=50; Or almost 9,400 members... wow... Are they taking up space on the hard drives just sitting there being useless? :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It's possible to never log in to the forums, but still use other parts of the site. I think that if you only post classifieds (which aren't part of the forums), for example, you'll still show up as never having logged in, even though you may be selling or buying things fairly often.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I got curious looking at the statistics of our members in the member lists, and was amazed at how many members listed had never logged on, nearly 188 pages worth of members!

So... a question arises. In the news announcement about the merger with rock climbers, it states that dropzone.com has 44,000 users. Does that number include all these people who registered but then never used their logon I.D.?

I got curious looking at the statistics of our members in the member lists, and was amazed at how many members listed had never logged on, nearly 188 pages worth of members!

So... a question arises. In the news announcement about the merger with rock climbers, it states that dropzone.com has 44,000 users. Does that number include all these people who registered but then never used their logon I.D.?

I'll guess that yes, it does. Now, remember, the forums arent the only part of the site. Lots of info is elswhere in the site too. I actually was a member of dz.com for several months without even opening the forum link.
Remster

I know I have to other identities on this site that I never use (created with older email addresse) how do I go about getting those deleted?

It was a while back, but I was looking through the user lists and came upon a user name which I think was my first name only. I figured it was some other Billy, then I checked the profile, and while it wasn't complete, it did look like a half-hearted attempt by somebody to create an imposter. I knew I didn't do that. Alerted Sangiro about it, and he took care of it.

You can request that he delete the ones you don't want. After all they're yours...:P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It's possible to never log in to the forums, but still use other parts of the site. I think that if you only post classifieds (which aren't part of the forums), for example, you'll still show up as never having logged in, even though you may be selling or buying things fairly often.

If it were necessary to log in at least once before posting a classified ad, it would probably eliminate alot of the scams I see in there.

Nearly all of the users that post legit ads have logged in before, and I can't think of any of the scams I've seen on there that actually had.

Just a thought. ;)

If it were necessary to log in at least once before posting a classified ad, it would probably eliminate alot of the scams I see in there.

Justin,

I think you're using the wrong term... you ARE required to be logged in to post an ad. I think you meant to say if you were required to POST to the forums at least once before you could post an ad...

That would not be sufficient to really prevent scams. I think there's a discussion to be had (and we're having it) about how you define a "member in good standing" and how to assign permissions to different areas of the site.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

I think there's a discussion to be had (and we're having it) about how you define a "member in good standing" and how to assign permissions to different areas of the site.

I wonder if some kind of scoring system would work. Sort of like a feedback rating on eBay or the
rating/moderation system used at sites like Slashdot. You start with zero when you first create your
account, and then:

- one point gets added each day (or, one point gets added for each day on which you log in)
- two points get added each time you post
- one point gets added each time somebody follows up to one of your posts
- points get added if an existing user says you're a good guy (based on how many points the
'referring' user has; a recommendation from HH or a mod would give you more points than a
recommendation from somebody who signed up yesterday)
- one hundred points get added when you buy a mod a beer

For certain areas of the site, you would then require a minimum score to use them. It wouldn't take any
score (or even an account) to _read_ most of the site, just like now. But you might have to have a
minimum score of, say, 20 to post a classified ad. Of course, all these numbers would be adjusted based
on experience.

Possible problems: the scammers will just register and wait until they can post an ad. Or, they will
register, and then go post-whoring to get their score up. You would also get the whole dicksize war
that goes on now with jump count, post count, etc - maybe the point count is not displayed to the user,
to help offset that. The error message when the user tries to do something that is above his or her
score might say something like "We don't know you well enough yet - try again later" instead of saying
"You are at 193, and you need 200 to do this."

Just some ideas.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I like the idea of some sort of trustworthy rating... but:

two points get added each time you post

I dont think it should be related to the forum activities. There are and have been several really, really horrible trolls on thje forums in the past. And some were quite the postwhores.

Our community has something slashdot and most other online communities dont have: a real life connection. I think any rating system should make a very heavy use of that factor.

What I would like to see is some sort of real life tree: you build a list of friends that you have actuallty met and would call a friend (I dont buy the whole we are all one big happy familly thing. Some people you know, but could go on without seeing and be perfectly happy... for those: simply dont enter them; I'd rather see that then negative entries as those can be abused); that gets linked to their list, and so on....

Either make that visible to all users. Or maybe make the list building/viewing a Premier feauture, or something...

Then again, this is much simpler :ph34r:
Remster

I like the idea of some sort of trustworthy rating... but:

two points get added each time you post

I dont think it should be related to the forum activities. There are and have been several really, really
horrible trolls on thje forums in the past. And some were quite the postwhores.

see: Unt-m-dD-g, among others.

I agree that this is subject to abuse. If trolls didn't exist, participation in the forum would be a step
towards "good guy" status - it'd rank you higher than someone who reads and doesn't post. But
trolls do exist. Maybe rate-limiting would help: so many points per post up to a max of so many
points per day/week/month/whatever. On the other hand, you soon end up with a tremendously
complicated formula. It can be difficult to codify trust.

Our community has something slashdot and most other online communities dont have: a real life
connection. I think any rating system should make a very heavy use of that factor.

I disagree that other communities lack a "real life connection" but I know what you're getting at. It's
quite possible to code or create Web pages or do some other things while sitting at home in front of
the computer, but to skydive you have to go to the DZ and presumably meet other people.

One possibility is some kind of link to the various regulating agencies - some way to confirm that
Joe Smith really does exist and has a USPA B-license or a BPA A-license or whatever. This probably
raises several sticky questions of privacy, third party access to what the agencies may consider
proprietary data, etc, and may not be practical.

What I would like to see is some sort of real life tree: you build a list of friends that you have
actuallty met and would call a friend [...] that gets linked to their list, and so on....

This seems similar to the way that I understand public-key signing parties work.

Usenet hasn't really come up with a good solution to this either. Other than reading somebody's posts
for a while, or knowing them through some other connection, there isn't a formal "trust" mechanism.
Individual users can have "kill files" that list authors whose posts are not to be displayed; on Usenet
this is private to each user, but on a board system like this, where everyone's preferences are on one
server, it might be able to connect this to the "trust" system. In other words, if a lot of people have
a user in their "ignore list", it reduces that user's "trust" score. This would probably have to exclude
the forums like Bonfire and Speaker's Corner; you might have 5000 jumps and every rating in the
book but if half the people in Speaker's Corner don't share your politics, you'll end up in a lot of
"ignore" lists.

Then again, this is much simpler

BeerPal.com exists, but doesn't seem to offer the analogous service to PayPal. Darn.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I saw on another forum what they called a karma rating.It was an area near your user name where people can vote a positive or a negative and they are totaled.

The problem with a Karma feature is certain people get slapped because thier buddies think it is funny to do so. Kinda like flipping someone the bird.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192