ChasingBlueSky

Two ideas?

I've seen on some boards that you can get a direct URL to a particular post. It could be useful when quoting or pointing to an older thread.

In the spell check, is it possible to make the spelling corrections clickable so they get replaced inline?

It is only available in IE.

That's unfortunate, and one of the first things I really missed when moving to Firefox.

Since it's possible to detect the browser type, could we, for non-IE users, keep the "Copy shortcut" link available and instead of simply being able to click on it do a right click "Copy link location"? I realize that Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc . . . represent only a small portion of the market, but it would be a nice feature to have.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Ditto. I had to use IE today and said "Hey, what's this new copy shortcut feature?" and realized it just wasn't available in Firefox.

I'll add my voice to the chorus of folks who would like to see this feature in Firefox.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'll add my voice to the chorus of folks who would like to see this feature in Firefox.

The Right Way (tm) to fix this is on the server end. However, you can make Firefox lie about what it is
(it'll tell the server it's IE) and the server seems to believe it. I installed "User Agent Switcher" (from
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&id=59
) and gained a menu item that lets me tell Firefox to say it is IE6, NS4, or Opera8. (This is just the
default list; you can modify it.) When I flip it to IE6 and reload a forum page, I see the "copy shortcut"
on the posts. When I flip it back to "default", the "copy shortcut" goes away.

I'm not sure if the "copy shortcut" _works_, since it's a Javascript function to paste the URL into the
clipboard. I'm on Linux and I'm not sure where the text goes, but it doesn't seem to go to the X
clipboard or cut buffer. Tomorrow at work I can try it on Windoze and see what happens.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

It doesn't work. The createTextRange() function was IE-specific, and while Mozilla variants appear to support it, they don't appear to support the copy to clipboard functionality needed. That's the execCommand("Copy");.

function postShortcut(post_id) {

document.all.post_shortcut.value = 'http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=' + post_id + '#' + post_id;
document.all.post_shortcut.createTextRange().execCommand("Copy");
}

It doesn't work. The createTextRange() function was IE-specific, and while Mozilla variants appear to support it, they don't appear to support the copy to clipboard functionality needed. That's the execCommand("Copy");.

I still haven't tried it at work, but that seems plausible. Last night I started on an adventure with a
netcat proxy to automagically rewrite the incoming HTML to simply contain a link to the post instead
of calling postShortcut() but I couldn't make it work right. I decided a) this was a symptom of having
no life and b) it really needs to get fixed on the server side. I wonder how many different kinds of
nothing would happen if we complained to Gossamer Threads directly.

I agree with AndyMan above that just having a plain old link would be the best thing.

Eule

(edited to add agreement with AndyMan)

I still haven't tried it at work, but that seems plausible.

I finally ground off the corners on one of my square tuits and tried it at work - Firefox 1.0.6 + User
Agent Switcher on XP Pro - and, as expected, it didn't work. Waah.

Eule

Firefox + GreaseMonkey + some DHTML = sorted.

Two weeks ago I didn't even know how to grease my monkey, but now I'm making big bucks on the Intarweb!

I don't even remember if I looked up Greasemonkey when you mentioned this, but I ran across it again a couple of weeks ago when I was looking for a way to do something else. After installing a couple of scripts written by others, and looking at their source code, I figured, "how hard can it be?" So, after some classic clone-and-hack coding and a small dose of RTFM, I came up with a script that might be helpful.

What it does is add a "Direct Link", immediately to the left of the "Quote" and "Reply" links that appear at the upper right corner of each post. Click the link and Firefox will likely redraw the page such that the selected post is at the top; right-click the link and select "Copy link location" to put it on the clipboard (or "Bookmark this link", or whatever.)

I have tested it on exactly two sites: dropzone.com and Gossamer Threads' site. I have only tested it on Firefox 1.5.0.4 and 1.5.0.6 on Linux, but it should work on other recent versions of Firefox and on legacy OSes. I have not tested it with any legacy browsers. You will need the Greasemonkey Firefox extension to use the script.

This software is supplied with NO WARRANTY. If it breaks you get to keep all the pieces. Having said that, I would appreciate any reports, good or bad.

A screenshot of the script in action is attached, along with the script itself. Or, go here to install the script.

Eule

EDIT: Attaching the script doesn't work very well; you have to download it to your local disk and then load it from there to install it. So I added the userscripts.org link.