skydive4play

My System????

Ok this is what I am looking at doing, is it a good choice or not?
Javelin Odyssey J2 C18 (Container)
Hornet 170 (Main)
Tempo 170 (Reserve)
Questions:
1) The J2 is small for a 170. I want the J2 so later on if I want to down size I still can. Am I going to have one hell of a time getting that Hornet in a J2 bag made for lets say a 150.
2) I was planning on getting a Sabre but have been told that the hornet is much like a Sabre but newer technology and easier to pack then the Sabre because it isn't so slippery and packs a little smaller then the Sabre
3) This is my first ZP main, is it going to be too hard for me to pack this sucker in a J2
PLEASE SOMEONE WITH MORE EXSPERANCE THEN ME GIVE ME SOME QUALITY GUIDANCE?????

I think you'll be happy with the Hornet. I've got 65 jumps on my Hornet 190 and still love it. If the container is sized for a F-111 150 you will have a heck of a time getting any ZP 170 in there because they pack bigger. I was told that going down one size without switching containers is OK if you have a container with soft sides like the Javelin or Dolphin. I'd probably go for the bigger container.
You didn't mention what wing loading you would be at with the Hornet. I'm loading mine at about 1.24 and it is fun, but still forgiving.

I don't have much experience with the Hornet, but I hear it is a good main. It will be a little tight putting a 170 in a J-2 but it is doable. I know a few people that have 170 Sabres in J-2s and one that has a 170 Spectre. I have a Triathalon 160 in my J-2 and have no problem at all getting it in the bag. I have packed a few Sabre 170s in Javelin J-2s and while it takes a little work to get it in the bag it fits okay. I hope the info helps.
Blue Skies,
Adam

Questions:
1) The J2 is small for a 170. I want the J2 so later on if I want to down size I still can. Am I going to have one hell of a time getting that Hornet in a J2 bag made for lets say a 150.
2) I was planning on getting a Sabre but have been told that the hornet is much like a Sabre but newer technology and easier to pack then the Sabre because it isn't so slippery and packs a little smaller then the Sabre
3) This is my first ZP main, is it going to be too hard for me to pack this sucker in a J2

One of the guys I used to jump with put a Sabre 170 in a J2.. I believe the Sabre and the Hornet pack about the same volume.. The Sabre was a pretty tight fit, but not too tight.. If it is a tight fit, try psycho-packing the Hornet.. It makes bagging it easier, and the Hornet responds very well to the psycho-pack.. That's how I pack my Hornet most of the time.. If this is your first ZP canopy, you probably will have a hell of a time packing it at first.. When you get it, pack it up at home a few times to see how hard it is for you..
The Hornet is very similar to a Sabre, but with a slightly elliptical planform(like a Safire).. Turns a bit quicker, maybe slightly faster forward speed.. Great openings no matter how I pack mine..
Mike

I don't think you should have a problem getting a 170 into a J2. What does Sunpath say? I have a J1 with a sabre 150. Its a tight fit, but not excessively so. Definately could not go any bigger, though.
You may be limiting your options with the J2, though. You can downsize your main without a new container, unless you are going really small. The you run into problems like line dump and other nasty things. But how small are you going to go, and how soon?
But if you want to UPSIZE your main for any reason, with the J2, you won't be able to. 2 possible reasons? Recovering from an injury, you might want a larger more docile canopy, or if you are participating in a special skydive, maybe a big way or a record attempt, and you're in the base wearing lead, the extra weight might put more of a strain on your canopy than you want.
Just something to think about.
Blue ones!

A 170 shouldn't be a problem. I have a J2 right now. My first canopy in the container was a 175. It was easy to pack, but it was F111. I would think that a ZP would still have room though, given how simple it was to get the other canopy in there....
Stacy
http://astro.temple.edu/~sweeks

Depends on where you live. On the East Coast or in the South, basically anyplace where it stays relatively humid, you'll hate it at first but it "should" go in there. In California, Arizona and other places where it is drier you'll drive yourself insane trying to pack a 170 zp anything into a J2. I'd highly recommend getting a J3; it's sized for a 170 zp main comfortably but you can safely go as small as a 135 in it.

Don't buy a main until you've jumped everything you are interested in. That's the only way you're going to know which canopy is the right one for you. You can get demo canopies from the manufacturers and it's worth every dollar you spend to get them.
pull and flare,
lisa

It will definately be tough at first but you will get the hang of it. I'm sure that it will fit. Just let someone show you their technique and give it a shot. Its much easier than spending tons of pack jobs trying to figure it out yourself. Good luck.
Safe landings,
Alex D-23912