stringtheorygal

AFF Jitters- Losing Instructors?

I think I'm ready to go on to AFF but have a fear of losing the instructors, going into some sort of spin/ending up on my back.

I did my AFF-1 jump on Saturday, and did indeed lose both instructors. Got as stable as possible before pulling - and when my main canopy inflated, I had about three line twists. So it DOES happen.

BUT - My training kicked in. Other than botching the exit (which is why my instructors said they couldnt keep hold of me), I did everything else RIGHT. Since I pulled so high up, I got an extended ride back down to the ground. It was scary, and yes I was tumbling, but I DIDN'T freak out and flail my arms and legs about. I focused, did what I was supposed to, and everything turned out well :-)

Think of this in terms of LAYERS:

-Your instructors will prepare you carefully to prevent this... Learn well how to "ARCH"
-Your instructors will be VERY aware of your body size on the ground. (You may never hear it... but there will likely be a discussion about it.) They will assign instructors accordingly (slow fallers).
-Your instructors will choose their jumpsuits to match your anticipated fall rate, known as "dress for success".
-Your instructors will dress you in a jumpsuit which will help match your fall rate to theirs.
-Your instructors will work to help keep you calm in the plane.
-As you exit....ARCH!
-Your instructors are good at flying YOU into position if your body position is a bit goofy.
-ARCH!
-If your instructors give you signals to fix your body position... Do what they tell you!!!
-ARCH!
-If your body position is really bad and you are very unstable, one instructor may release and stay nearby to assist. (It is often easier to fix tumbles with just one instructor docked on student).
-ARCH!
-Your instructors are skilled at stopping any spin you might have, and at rolling you over if necessary.
-ARCH!
-In the VERY uncommon situation where you lose both instructors..... PULL NOW!!!!!!!!
-If you lose both... They will be flying VERY aggressively to capture you!
-ARCH!
-If you lose both instructors, and can't/don't pull...your AAD will attempt to activate your reserve.
-ARCH!
-If you, both your instructors, & your AAD are all unsuccessful ..... Don't worry, you signed the wavier!!! ;-)

Losing both instructors is possible but very uncommon. I have almost 350 AFF-I jumps. I have NEVER seen a student toss off BOTH instructors. I have seen some students do their "best" to lose both, without success!

To help you understand one of many reasons that it is hard to toss both off: We have a strong grip on your leg strap, with our hand entirely gripping it. I have had several times when I had a leg strap pull off my glove when the opening canopy pulled the student out of my hand ...and I was TRYING to let go! Our grip on the leg strap is so deep that the backs of our fingers are against your leg, as we grasp the leg strap with our whole hand.

Hint #1: SMILE, BREATHE, RELAX!

Hint #2: Trust hint #1!

Go have fun!!!!!

So if your are super stable, smooth and fearless, will they let go a tad, or are you going to be clenched tight no matter what? I'm thinking though the requirment to ARCH, no matter what your instinct might be otherwise.