mofo554

An Appeal to the Powers That Be

I have noticed that a lot of threads seem to deviate from their beginnings. This makes it more difficult, though by no means impossible (duh), for a user to read about what they clicked on the thread for in the first place. Anyways, I was thinking, maybe the powers that be at DZ.com could make it possible to create "sub-threads". Basically, the idea is that when a wholly seperate topic starts being discussed in a thread, one is able to break it off into a "sub-thread" in order to discuss that issue. What do you think? Am I just being stupid?

Agreed. But I don't think it's a simple thing to switch forum formats. However, if DZ is considering changing, the following link takes you to an excellent forum that allows splinter topics.

SailingAnarchy

A cheaper option would be some occasional moderator intervention to keep people on-topic. Or better yet, a little mouth control from the posting public. Private Messaging is the place for conversing with pals on issues that don’t concern the thread’s topic.

-------------------------------------------------------
To those who say it’s a small world, let me tell you,
I’ve seen the world, and it’s only getting bigger.

One of the Forum Rules is "stick to the topics in the topical forums" and we try real hard to keep the forums on track. It would help if everyone else remembered that rule too! This really shouldn't be in General Skydiving Discussions anyway. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

>Anyways, I was thinking, maybe the powers that be at DZ.com could
>make it possible to create "sub-threads".

That can be done. I don't often do it, since it a. can be confusing to people ("Hey! Where'd my post go?") b. it's often a messy cut, leaving half the related posts in one thread and half in the new thread and c. it sorta encourages people to _not_ stay on topic - and splitting a thread into 23 3-message threads isn't really that much fun.

That being said, if anyone sees a clear need to detach and move a section of a thread, let me know. The best way to keep a thread on-topic, though, is to just keep the posts on-topic.