cyberskydive

So I wanna get my riggers ticket....

Depends on what you want to do with the ticket. I wanted mine simply so I could maintain my and my b/f's rigs. I worked under a master rigger at my home dz and learned enough to pass the tests. Then he died, the other rigger left and all of a sudden everyone was looking at ME to pack their reserves...
Anyway, if you want to be a serious rigger, go to a serious school or work with a very experienced master rigger. ParaPublishing offers several books that you will find invaluable in your training whichever way you choose to go about it; I highly recommend both Parachute Manuals and the Riggers Course for starters. Break out that sewing machine and learn everything you can about it; I didn't want to sew but was forced to learn just to get the ticket.
One poing - the best riggers that I've met all consider the ticket to be a "license to learn". You'll learn the basics before you take the tests, once you get the ticket don't stop learning new tricks!
;-)
lisa

Thanks alot! Luckily Alot off the manuals and stuff are already at my dz. Poynters manuals and such, the real fun stuff. And I beleive one of those Para-publishing study guides is available too. I've been wanting to do this for a while, I was told by a very well respected master rigger (thanks gene, hope you like your new job), that the best way to learn, and the most productive, is to actually DO it, and practice and learn and learn and practice.I think I Just have to put in the time, effort, and cash when required. Thanks again!!
D.Chisolm
[email protected]
http://www.sunraydesigns.com

I'm working with a Master rigger. Basically he taught me how to do inspections and pack. When he starts to get busy I will do inspections for him while he is packing (to help him out for teaching me). When he has less work he shows me how to pack a weird rig or he will give me his rig and tell me to go inspect and pack it.
He is a nice guy, if you are not in a hurry and don't want to blow money on the school, I would hang with a good rigger.
bloo skies
ramon

I'm looking into becoming a rigger myself. I can sew pretty well and will probably learn from the study books and other informational books, and from an experienced rigger in the area. I would go to a school or an organized class, but don't have the time with going to college full time and working the rest of the time.

I took the rigging course at Eloy in January and it was great. I was amazed by how much they taught me about rigging in a couple of weeks. (I had no sewing experience before I got there and I left with a rigger's tool kit that I put together myself!) If you decide to go for the course, it's a good idea to hang out with your rigger beforehand to get a feel for the basics of packing etc. And, like Lisa said, the study guide and Poynter manuals are a great resource.

Going to a rigger school is probably the best idea. You should do/learn some hands on rigging before you go to the course. I recommend DeWolf's course. Also you should learn how to sew nylon on a machine before you go to the course. When you get to the course, one tip I can give you is to have an open mind becuase you will be learning from a different person then you are used to. And as said before don't stop learning!!
Be Safe and Have Fun,
Adam