Hoolzen

Sony HDR AZ1 / AS 100 - suitable for handycam in dual use? (photo + vid)

Hey guys, is anybody using two sony AZ1 ( or AS100 ) for handycam with a remote control?

Questions are:

- can you start both cameras via remote control in their specific mode? so one starts in photo mode and the other one in video mode?

- photos are taken 1 every second, right?

- are there any major disadvantages ( in comparison to dual gopro which I had for a year) wich makes them useless for dual handycam use?

thanks for your input guys. thought it fits in here better than in the camera forum, sorry if wrong. :)

add: I do not need the screen on the remote. it`s mounted on my helmet, can`t see it anyway. I use the remote to hold the arm straight and prevent starting and stopping the sequence directly in the passengers nose...

I'm playing with 1 right now, with remote, and IMO the remote's too big and in the way to be useful with a HC system. Also you have to power on each camera using the power buttons on the cameras, instead of on the remote... so I'm thinking the remote doesn't give you much advantage for the sony. Maybe superglue a flat bar across the two record buttons on the two waterproof housings or something 8-] one button rules them all. these Sony's do power on when you hit the record button, and they're powered & shooting in about 3 seconds... another reason why I think the remote's unneeded & in the way

Chris

Hoolzen

***The moment you have a glove set up for them let me know! B|

I somehow don`t get the point? simply put it on a metal base (or case) with the tripod screw and place this on a quick mount onthe glove?

You can do that, as some already do. However some prefer a tool that's specifically made for the job. It would meet criteria that aren't all designed into the OEM housing, Such as:
- low snag risk
- easy access to camera ports & card slots
- stable mount that helps eliminate shake
- allows quick removal of camera
- easy replacement of lenses, because they get beat up
- impact protection of the camera
- ability to have 1 or 2 cameras

The stock waterproof housing is pretty snagproof until you mount it using their quick-release mount. Then it juts out front beyond the mount, creating a snag zone under the front of the camera. You could eliminate that hazard by mounting the housing flush to the glove with a tripod screw, instead of using the quick-release mount. But then you can't remove the camera from its housing without taking the housing off the glove (the waterproof housing's door latch is on the bottom). Sometimes you need to pop out the camera fast and replace a dead battery or reset the
camera because it failed for some reason, etc.

What is the advantage of a remote control?
Remember that video cameras only became practical/cost-effective for free-fall photographers after all the different components were integrated into one box that could be bolted onto a helmet.
Messing with extra remote controls just adds more "silly bits" to forget on your way to the airplane.

The value of a remote used to control 2 Hero cameras:

I have a pocket with a clear window + button-pressing holes sewn onto the front of an upper leg of my tandem pants. If I hit the power button on the remote, it powers both cameras on. If I hit the record then both start recording at the same time, and my hand isn't in the picture for start/stop button pressing. Since it's installed in a pocket, there's no extra bits to get lost. I just install it into the pocket each morning with a fresh battery charge. Some benefits include: 1/2 the # of button pressings required each jump, and more heads-up awareness when pushing the buttons (know where they are, so there's no need to look at anything except a quick glance to verify the blinky lights are on or off), and more pro-looking clips without fingers up-close in the shots.

The Sony cam/remote setup doesn't seem to be as useful as the Hero version =\

Chris

parachutist

The value of a remote used to control 2 Hero cameras:

I have a pocket with a clear window + button-pressing holes sewn onto the front of an upper leg of my tandem pants. If I hit the power button on the remote, it powers both cameras on. If I hit the record then both start recording at the same time, and my hand isn't in the picture for start/stop button pressing. Since it's installed in a pocket, there's no extra bits to get lost. I just install it into the pocket each morning with a fresh battery charge. Some benefits include: 1/2 the # of button pressings required each jump, and more heads-up awareness when pushing the buttons (know where they are, so there's no need to look at anything except a quick glance to verify the blinky lights are on or off), and more pro-looking clips without fingers up-close in the shots.

Nailed it.

The Sony cam/remote setup doesn't seem to be as useful as the Hero version =\

Chris

urgh, details?

Ok UPDATE!

I`m quite pissed, the AZ1 is _useless_ for dual use.
I bought two an tested, first impression was great, for video use it`s really nice, remote works better than gopro etc... But when it comes to photo mode, Sony... argh... 11,9 mpixel works in single shot mode but when it comes to simple "1 pic per second" mode the AZ1 reduces the quality to HD (2mpixel)... No chance of changing this!
As video device really nice, two cams in vid/photo config - forgett it...

I asked at Sony and there is no update likely to be released to change this... why not? Because the more expensive AS200,which is supposed to be released in march is obviously able to.... thx sony...

Hoolzen

Ok UPDATE!

I bought two an tested, first impression was great, for video use it`s really nice, remote works better than gopro etc... But when it comes to photo mode, Sony... argh... 11,9 mpixel works in single shot mode but when it comes to simple "1 pic per second" mode the AZ1 reduces the quality to HD (2mpixel)... No chance of changing this!

I asked at Sony and there is no update likely to be released to change this... why not? Because the more expensive AS200,which is supposed to be released in march is obviously able to.... thx sony...

I didn't even see that issue because I've been using the 2-second photo rate. Another issue with my AZ1 in time-lapse photo mode is the LED Recording indicator doesn't light up while it's shooting pictures. There's a tiny red LED flashing on the back side, but not the one on top.

parachutist

***Ok UPDATE!

I didn't even see that issue because I've been using the 2-second photo rate. Another issue with my AZ1 in time-lapse photo mode is the LED Recording indicator doesn't light up while it's shooting pictures. There's a tiny red LED flashing on the back side, but not the one on top.

How about the Sony shooting video with a GoPro for stills? Might be an interesting glove configuration.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

How about the Sony shooting video with a GoPro for stills? Might be an interesting glove configuration.

Yepp, I guess that`s a good option if you don`t use the remotes, otherwise you have to deal with too different remotes, which could be a bit annoying :)

Even better might be waiting for the AS200, which can be operated with the same remote as the AZ1.

with both sonys the setup would be around an inch less in width compared to a gopro...