Neilroberts502

First tandem and cut away

Hi all I would like to get a bit if feedback on what happened today

I had my first tandem skydive today in uk and instructor had to cut away!!

Didn't notice that much while up there just a bit if jerking!
But when reached the floor he said we used reserve and cut away due to line twists
I'm still a little unsure why this happened so I asked instructor and he said we wasn't in sync firstly! Then after we looked at stills and he said we looked in sync! But obviously something went wrong so I would like to try to find out any information possible as to why this happened maybe its my fault or equipment I would like to find out as much as possible thanks
Only skydivers know why the birds sing!!
Can't remember who's quote this is!

Hi all I would like to get a bit if feedback on what happened today

I had my first tandem skydive today in uk and instructor had to cut away!!

Didn't notice that much while up there just a bit if jerking!
But when reached the floor he said we used reserve and cut away due to line twists
I'm still a little unsure why this happened so I asked instructor and he said we wasn't in sync firstly! Then after we looked at stills and he said we looked in sync! But obviously something went wrong so I would like to try to find out any information possible as to why this happened maybe its my fault or equipment I would like to find out as much as possible thanks

I don't know why your instructor used that explanation, and I wasn't there.

Line twists happen for a larger number of reasons, one being, shit happens.

Main canopies malfunction a percentage of the time. It isn't a regular event, but it happens, which is the reason for the cutaway system, and the reserve.

There is no fault to assign, and no reason to assign fault even if there was any.

I wouldn't pick it apart any further than that.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

oh man..if i were on a tandem ride and knew the instructor had to chop and go reserve i'd poop my pants in a second :o

I nearly did I think instructor did to cos he was really quiet after the landing and didn't say much

I remember when I was working at the DZ as a packer had 101 jumps and the DZO asked if anyone wanted to do a tandem with him so an up and coming camera man could practice. I said " I will" nice skydive was a bit weird not wearing my own parachute. But we open and bam, line over. He says are you ready, I arch and said "Yep"

Clink is what I hear in my ear and the most amazing feeling, then a nice clean reserve over our heads.

No poop either.

Thank god I was looking to do aff soon but this knocked the wind out my sales a little!
I started to think it was something I had done
Thanks!!!

You didn't get charged for TWO parachute rides? ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Thank god I was looking to do aff soon but this knocked the wind out my sales a little!
I started to think it was something I had done
Thanks!!!

You didn't get charged for TWO parachute rides? ;)

And the extra freefall.....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Hi Neil,

I know Black Knights well and do tandems there for them on occasionally on Sundays, they are a very good DZ and run a tight shop, you will be more than looked after doing your AFF there.

I have had a couple of reserve rides on tandems all for pretty minor things, but never the less things you don't want to be messing about with too long. The tandem student was unaware in every event that we had used the reserve until I told them on landing that "we had an issue I wasn't happy with so we used the reserve" and to be honest most tandem students are happy with that as they don't understand the kit.

I am sure the Tandem Instructor was only trying to ease your concerns about the reserve ride and when you go back to do AFF he will more than likely remember you and be happy to talk through the malfunction (when he isn't busy taking tandems).

I happen to be the CCI at a DZ in Shropshire about 90 min from Black Knights so other than doing tandems for them I have no vested interest in you doing AFF there, I just don't want one bad experience put you off going there again.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Hi

Firstly thanks!! This has certainly reassured me, I know it's a good dropzone I think I was just a little nervous straight away. But when I was home I then knew that shit happens and he knew what he was doing cos we landed.

I will probably do aff there anyway cos I would like it to be my home dz and everyone there seemed cool

Thanks again