JohnMitchell

Still jumping Vectors?

Just curious if many of you are still jumping Vectors out there. I got my rating on Vector 20+ years ago. When the Sigma came out 10+ years ago, I made the switch and really fell in love with the cleaner system and better C/G of the higher drogue attachment. I'm really reluctant to switch back to Vectors. How do the rest of you feel?

Just curious if many of you are still jumping Vectors out there. I got my rating on Vector 20+ years ago. When the Sigma came out 10+ years ago, I made the switch and really fell in love with the cleaner system and better C/G of the higher drogue attachment. I'm really reluctant to switch back to Vectors. How do the rest of you feel?

I'm still jumping both my Wonderhogs. B|

V3-M and MicroSIGMA :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

One would think, eventually, Vector Owners will have to join the 21 st Century. Didn't UPT stop making Vector specific parts a while back, maybe 5 to 6 years ago? Won't the parts on hand be down to nill by now, if the main is being done proper?

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I gave up tandems in 2011 for medical reasons but jumped Vectors at a DZ I worked at in 2009. I was a new TI and I found that Vectors were easier for me to Fly than the Sigma.

I have two Vector rigs and one of them is getting on in age. I'll probably be looking for a good condition Vector rig to replace it with this winter. I wouldn't go so far as to say I prefer the Vector system, I just don't have any problems with it, so can't justify several thousand dollars to change to something else that I don't have any problems with, given that I'll never recoup that money. When the day comes that good condition Sigmas can be found for no more than double the price of a Vector, I'll switch, but I suspect I'll retire from tandems before that happens.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

It's a slightly different matter of fact in Germany. Most TIs here jump German tandem systems, most of 'em Next Tandems made by Paratec. These systems are Vector-style and most of us are used to them and the latest Next Tandems are really well designed. OK, there are also TIs jumping Sigmas and they will tell you about the nicer balance due to its drogue system but the German systems are still preferred by most TIs: You got the manufacturer close-by (at least compared to the distance to Florida), the Next systems are less expensive and, as I said before, have evolved into very comfy, reliable and durable systems.
Might be a similar situation in other European countries.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

When RWS/UPT introduced the Sigma (circa 2001?) they announced that they would stock spare parts (freebags, handles, etc.) for the next decade. After that, Vector tandem owners would have to order spare parts.
I wonder how long Vector owners have to wait during the middle of the summer????

When RWS/UPT introduced the Sigma (circa 2001?) they announced that they would stock spare parts (freebags, handles, etc.) for the next decade. After that, Vector tandem owners would have to order spare parts.
I wonder how long Vector owners have to wait during the middle of the summer????

The first SIGMA I saw in the public was when the Army Tandem Team brought their sets to Fort Campbell in 2000. Paul Rafferety gave me a class on them and then told me TK and Marc said this would be the future of Tandems.

Later at the UPT I/E Course, Marc told me that UPT would stop making Vector II specific parts that year (2003) and soon after would start pushing Vector II owners to the Sigma. Marc said they had a few years worth of parts on hand, but once out, they would not make any more.

I would imagine that of the Vectors II's out there, very few are still truly air worthy unless a MR is working them over every year.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!