skydived19006

Sigma II now lined with Vectran

From a UPT newsletter:
"United Parachute Technologies, in conjunction with Performance Designs,
are excited to announce the release of the Sigma II tandem canopy.

As of September 2010, all Sigma II 370 and 340 tandem canopies will come standard with Vectran linesets, and will also have 2 slider channels so that sliders can be collapsed. Link covers will be provided to protect the lines at the links as well as keep the links aligned with the risers."

I find this interesting considering that Bill Booth has been one of the voices opposing zero stretch line in general and specifically on tandem canopies. Seems that Precision/Icarus/Stunts may have got it right a dozen years ago after all.

Cudos to Bill, someone else had an idea that may in the end be a better mouse trap. Unlike some others in the industry, and I'm thinking primarily of the other two tandem gear players in the US, he's not so stuck on himself that he has to stick with his idea in spite of the rest of the world.

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Add to that, my experience with HMA lined Tandem Mains is that it has the trim benefits of Vectran, the longevity of HMA, and doesn't suffer the hard openings of Vectran or Spectra.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I've jumped one, a 340 lined with vectran.

Now I am biased, cause I love jumping my 365 and only jump sigmas when I have to.

It was a nice canopy, the biggest thing that jumped out at me was the oversteer. One of the other instructors called it "obnoxious". I am not a fan of a tandem canopy that can turn my toes purple wheh I pull the toggle to my shoulder. And I found it hard to do a 90 degree turn without having to stop it with the opposite toggle, it was that responsive.

Again, not my cup of tea, but I also like what some people call the "sluggishness" of the Icarus tandems. I don't like students puking on me, and I find it easier to make them comfortable with a longer control range.

It was great for picking up in the field and packing.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome