GiZZeRR

Need some encouragement

Hi Folks,
Just found the forums and thought I'd say hello "Hello". Well you can't get anymore of a newbie than me, I haven't made my first jump yet! I was going to do it last year but had to go into hospital for an op, but feeling fit again and itching to get up there, I think!!
Give me some encouragement guys( and gals), Will be training at Strathallan in Scotland but there was an accident a month or so ago when a first timers chute failed and then his reserve!!!! He survived but if I'm truthful, it has had me a bit apprehensive. Don't tell my work mates though, I told them I wasn't worried :) Anyway, I've wanted to do this for over a year now and I'm on the point of booking the jump, hoping to continue through the summer, jumping most weekends. Any one jump at Strathallan and know what went wrong that day? I'm sure the instructors will explain though and put our minds at rest.
GiZZeRR

People die every day driving their cars. Yet none of us has given up driving because of this. The chances of another accident happening soon at the same DZ are extremely slim. After all, the last guy ended up OK.
Don't miss living your your life just because you are afraid of what might happen.
The Dutchboy
http://www.geocities.com/ppolstra

Don't know about Scottish roads and drivers, but according to rough calculations the fatality risk of 1 skydive in the US is the same as driving 440 miles on US highways.
How many miles are on your car? And can you think of 440 of them that are as exciting as one skydive?
Skydiving is risky. Anyone who tells you it isn't is lying to you. But if vehicular fatalities were covered with the same uninformed gusto that the press applies to skydiving incidents, you'd be afraid of your car too.
I've studied English, German, and Japanese and still can't find the right words to describe skydiving. If I could convey to everyone what a thrilling experience skydiving is for me, I'm convinced that 95% percent of the population would try it once just to see if it can be the same experience for them. "Fun, exciting, thrilling, beautiful" don't even come close.
Blues, squares,
PTiger

I've studied English, German, and Japanese and still can't find the right words to describe skydiving.

The closest I've come is "freedom".
I could get really philosophical on how many levels that goes, but I'll let everyone take away what they think best.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

GiZZeRR. Welcome.
Don't worry about the fact that you haven't jumped yet. I hung here and some other forums for about a year before I did my first jump.
My guess is there's more to that accident than a simple double-mal. That's almost unheard of. Have any links to info on the accident? I'd like to read it. We might be able to offer some insight that will help you feel better.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

OK. I read about this.
Yeah. He obviously had one mal. What's not clear is whether he pulled the reserve. Lots of these types of things are mals with no cutaway or a cutaway with no reserve pull. I'm not saying that happened here. Let us know if you find out more.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

Thanks for the replies. From what I've read, everyones a bit nervous so I'm sure going to give it a go. I did a bungee jump a few years ago and it was terrifing stepping off that platform at 160ft connected to an elastic band!! So I'm sure I can pluck up the courage to step out a perfectly good plane ;-)
GiZZeRR

I know that I have dragged some of my friends to the DZ and nudged them into jumping. Some were scared and nervous as we all were, the rest just didn't admit to it. The likely hood of a double mal, as Zennie said is nil. If you have been thinking about it for so long do it. You will love the experience and will find out that the fear of thinking about it is much greater than the fear in doing it.
Fly Free, Fly fast, Fly together
Albatross

From what I've heard Gizzerr, bungee jumping can be more scary then skydiving even...ground rush and all. I don't know because I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet. However, regardless, don't worry about it if your nervous or scared. I have known at least two people who've really wanted to try it, but it took them forever to tell us that they were a little scared about it and that was part of what was holding them back. They didn't think they should be feeling that way...that they weren't 'brave enough' or something. Whatever! I was scared shitless the first time! And the second, and a few after that. Hehe! You get more used to the door, less scared and start having more fun the more your mind begins to accept that "yes, you are throwing your body out of that door" and you start figuring out how to do it somewhat gracefully ... at least can make yourself do pretty much what you intended.
It's all amazing, fun, calming, stress-relieving, beautiful...so many things. And the accomplishment you feel from overcoming your fears to pursue your dream of flight! Kickass!
My .02 :) Good luck!
Pammi
"The question is not whether we will die, but how we will live."
http://trak.to/skydivechick

bungee jumping can be more scary then skydiving even...ground rush and all.

I was way more terrified bungie jumping than skydiving. But I bungie jumped first, so maybe that's why I wasn't as scared skydiving.
But yeah, bungie gives you serious ground rush.
Dude, if you can summon up the courage to jump off a platform ~150 feet off the ground, you can skydive. And with bungie, you're just falling. When you skydive, you're flying!
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

I've wanted to do this for over a year now

For a least three years befor I jumped I would
say to myself "you are going to do a jump this yr" then
there would be a skydiving fatality on the news and I would back off.
Then my niece went and jumped at Strathallan, my sister showed me pictures of her with that big grin on her face.
So May 99 I went and did my first. :)Now I have 151 jumps ( one at Strathallan when I was over visiting)and I wish I had that three wasted yrs back.
So go jump, take pictures, have a blast!!!! ;)
Andrew.

GiZZeRR, I talked about skydiving with a buddy for 10 years before I finally got out and did it... what a waste of 10 years! As far as accidents go, they happen everywhere in our everyday lives - you don't have to go skydiving to get hurt or killed! Skydiving is a sport that, if approached with the proper attitude, will bring you years of pure pleasure! Sure, you are scared - I think we all were on our first jumps. But fear is good - it helps you act fast in the event of an emergency. Just pay attention when you are being trained, and smile when you climb out of that plane the first time - you'll never look back!
Go for it!!! Frank

Thanks for the mails and support everyone. I think I was always going to do it but just needed a little encouragement. I'm going to see the Doc on Monday to make sure he thinks I'm fit enough after my op 10 months ago and if he says ok then I'm booking for early June! This could be my best summer ever. I'm only an hour from the DZ at Strathallan so I can see myself getting home from work, not just weekends and jumping all summer. I know what you mean about life is too short to worry about what "might" happen and thats not me, I ride a fast sports motorcycle and believe that if your careful and always got your wits about you then you can't do much more. I enjoy my bike but I can see it might have serious competition :)GiZZeRR