skydude2000

Solo drills?

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a few tips. I've booked 15 minutes of tunnel time for tonight and 15 minutes of coached tunnel time tomorrow night to shake the rust off before Summerfest. I'm looking for some ideas for solo drills I can do to warm up. I haven't done more than about 20 jumps so far this year, mostly small belly RW. Which is probably what I'll be sticking with at Summerfest, maybe work my way into some bigger dives, but nothing likely bigger than 20-way.

Can anyone recommend some good drills or exercises I can work on? I'm not too sure the tunnel rats will let me practice tracking in the tunnel when I haven't done more than about 30 minutes of time this year.

I'll have no trouble planning out 2-way drills with my coach tomorrow, but I want to make good use of my time and at least make an effort to brush up on my skills before heading to a big boogie like Summerfest.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)
Cheers.
PULL!! or DIE!!

Couple of thoughts.

Play "fuck yourself at pull time" and put yourself in the worst body positions while trying to pull all of your handles. See how close to the net you can go through your EP's without touching the net.

Have them slow down the wind and see how slow you can fly. It's tough.

Do you Freefly at all?

Howdy,

That sounds like it might be an interesting exercise. I've done a few drills with hands behind my back, legs only, etc. I don't freefly at all, I tried about a half hour on my back once, it was a very messy situation. I feel like I should stick to what I'm good at for now.

Thanks!
PULL!! or DIE!!

Flying alone on my belly, I like to work on precision stops & starts - you can use the walls of the tunnel as reference. Face off to something you can use as your starting point of reference (the door, the tunnel instructor, whatever). Turn 90 left, then 90 back to start. Then 180 left, 180 right back to start. 270, 270 back, 360, 360 back. Repeat in the other direction. Focus on crisp turns, keeping your center point in the center of the tunnel, and stopping exactly at the mark you intended to stop on.

Fall rate drills are also helpful, and like someone else mentioned, turning down the air and working on slow fall can be a good challenge. Give the tunnel instructor a heads up that you're going to be working on that so he/she is aware you'll be popping up and down.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Stuff I like to do solo:

• maintaining heading and altitude fly with left arm behind your back; fly with right arm behind your back; fly with both arms behind your back

• maintaining heading and altitude reach back with your right arm and touch your right bootie; repeat for left side

• maintaining heading and altitude point your right knee straight down to the net; repeat for left side

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

We worked mainly on side-slides, knee-only turns, trying to break my bad habit of twisting my torso, and even some tracking practice.

It was great to see & feel the difference in force, angle & speed that changes with your body position in a track. I felt like it was definitely worth the money to hire a coach to brush up on things & remind me of what bad habits to watch out for. Hopefully now I can make good use of the time at Summerfest!!

Cheers!!
    PULL!! or DIE!!

Similar. Just make the centre of rotation your head. As you increase wind speed you can tilt your head to the tunnel wall and then boom.. Outface :)
    Edited to add.. Try having your arms backwards rather than forwards. I'll see if I can dig out some footage.

You can pick your point about which to rotate (Head, belly button, knee, foot), but the attached is always a good drill.

Stay in the center. Make the turns crisp. Make the stops full.

See the attached.
    Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.