yarik

Underloaded wing

I'm looking for an accuracy canopy, and was thinking of parafoils, but there is a line of models different from 232 to 308 sq.ft. My "empty" weight is 145 and I think the best model would be 252, but choosing used one not olways have that option. What possible problem I can run into if I jump with 282? I read a lot about overload of high performance canopies, but nothing about underload of an accuracy one. Any thoughts?

Here's my newbie input. Underloaded would have less resonse, meaning harder to avoid obstacles if necessary. Also, if you open downwind of the landing area in a high wind, it would be harder for you to get back. I'm not sure what would be classified as "underloaded" but I would say anything significantly outside of range of the manufacturer specs would not be a good idea in either direction.
Again...this is my newbie opinion, so someone please correct it if I'm wrong.

I think you would get a better response if you reposted this in gear and rigging with a title like looking for a accuracy canopy. In my new guy opinion(I only have 18 jumps), and from what I've read I think a 232 is close to the max for an exit weight of 155. I would be interested to hear from someone who knows what their talking about.
"...and then your canopy opens and you float to the ground like a multicolored snowflake"

JG

Find someone that is a accurcy jumper and get thier opinion.They are the ones that can tell you what will work best,Even more so than a gear dealer.The same is true for crw jumpers too.

Finding an experienced accuracy jumper to ask is very very good advice. I sell gear and I wouldn't think of advising an accuracy or CRW jumper on what size or type or canopy to buy as I know next to nothing about those two disciplines. I can fill out the order forms, but the buyer needs to know exactly what they need/want and a jumper experienced in that discipline is the best one to advise someone who is new to it.
As far as I know underloading is desirable in an accuracy canopy. The point of traditional accuracy isn't dragging a foot through the swoop pond, it's stomping the disc. That is best accomplished with a canopy that has a slow forward speed and a steeper approach angle than the typical sport canopy.
pull and flare,
lisa

Thank you guys for your thoughts. The thing is I live in Ukraine, and most of jumpers here use russian made canopies wich are presented in only 2 models with the same area, so even experienced ones don't know much of how is better to choose. May be someone knows an accuracy jumper to refer me to?
Blue Skies!

Try asking Nancy LaRiviere from Jumpshack. She is very knowledgable in canopy control and accuracy and was very helpful to me when I had questions about containers. It may take her a bit to answer as she has been busy running seminars on accuracy (one of which I really wanted to attend next weekend but can't do to a wedding and a knee injury :(). Her e-mail is [email protected]
Skies,
D :P

yarik,
you might be able to access the Golden Knights web page and they have an accuracy discipline in their crew so, you could always ask them. They are a very helpful group of guys/gals!
Kia Kaha,
Pyke:P
NZPF A - 2584

Were you ever able to get ahold of someone and get an answer to your question from an accuracy jumper?
One thing to perhaps think about is winds too. I have personally been blown backwards more then once when I was flying just a 160 Triathlon (supposedly a pretty good accuracy canopy because it has more downward then forward drive because of being a 7-cell, but I am not really wanting to get into accuracy jumps). I have to say it's rather disconcerting to have trees or something under you and not be getting any forward drive! You would definately have to plan your landing pattern with those sorts of things in mind I would think (?)
Let us know, I'm curious myself.
Pammi
Some new pics.

Try at www.eiff.com. There's a lot about accuracy, a section about selecting the right canopy size among other things. It's for the classic, but the wing loading should be close if not the same for the foil.
Hope this helps,
Marko