Emmie

Tunnel for learning HD

Just wondering how effective was the tunnel for learning HD.
I've got about an hour and a half in the tunnel. The first time I went was about 4-5 years ago, when I was doing AFF, and the tunnel helped A LOT. However, I came back a year or so later to learn how to sitfly, and didn't get much out of it.
At this point, I am a really solid sitflyer, but I'm having trouble learning to fly HD. So, I figured that for winter break (going back to MA where its too cold to jump) I will try about an hour in a wind tunnel, and just work on HD.
Is this a good idea? I know that tunnels have become way more advanced and probably have way more power than the last time that I was in one years ago. I remember that learning to sit, I was kind of just standing on the floor, without getting any lift.
Is the tunnel effective for learning HD, and if so, what's the training program like, and how long does it take on the average for someone to be able to fly HD? (And I know, it all depends on the person and their learning curve and all, but I'm basically looking for an estimate).
Thanks a lot.

I dont have much tunnel time, none of which has been headdown,...but there is a progression that you will have to follow before being allowed to try HD in the tunnel. I guess some tunnels will differ but the basic progression is to prove at lease semi profficiency flatflying, then walking, then backflying, then sitflying, then headdown.

I dont think many people with 300 jumps (if your profile is correct?) would get through all that in 1 hour.

Sorry I cant help with the other part of your question since I haven't gotten to the point of flying headdown in the tunnel yet.

I'm sure the comment about demonstrating your ability to do these other skills is correct. Assuming that those things will not be a problem for you, learning HD in the tunnel is a very good thing. You're able to find your balance in a controlled environment and to work on finding the right body position with someone right there correcting any problems you may have. It took me quite a bit of repetition before I got off the net on my own but you should be able to make some great progress in an hour. You may not have it down completely in that amount of time, but I think you'll be able to achieve enough that you would consider the time worth it.
TPM Sister #102

Mmm Hmm. Jewels and I both learned HD in the tunnel, and I must say it worked well for us. However, don't go in there with expectations to get it in an hour. I had about 2-3 hours before I even started learning HD. And it took another 2-3 hours to get off the net unassisted. Then another 2-3 hours to transition from a sit. That's just me, but be ready to spend a lot of time :) Aside from cost, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Oh yeh, cost wise it's waaaay cheaper than trying to learn in the sky. I also feel consistency is key. Once a week is good, but I really started feeling an improvement when I was going 2x/week. Look into a league @ your local tunnel if you can. It's most cost effective, and gives you consistency.

Also, just being on the net and feeling out the body position really helps with flying in the sky. It allows you to experience what it feels like, even if your not flying it by yourself in the tunnel. So, even if you don't spend all those hours perfecting it in the tunnel, you'll still get help with flying in the sky.

Just wondering how effective was the tunnel for learning HD.

In short its Brilliant for learning head down.

But and there is always a But...

Don't get bogged down with it, there is so much more to learn.
TBH once you have the main head down position correct weather its daffy or straddle, the only coaching tip really is Head back More Legs, yes i know there is more before everybody slams me, but its a neutral position staying in one place on yr Bonce...:)

dont forget about all the other stuff which is way more fun..
back carving outface carving stalling.
Dont just blow a load of money to be able to get of the net on yr head and not move,

Get a good coach that will push you to do lots of stuff you wouldnt do on yr own then practice yrself, then get more coaching and so on..

hope this helps a little.

Dave...

Expect to be humbled in the tunnel. Skydivers have a tendency to over estimate their abilities and the tunnel will highlight that. Without a solid reference in the sky, it is easy to think that you are moving very little when, in fact, you are moving a lot more than you think.

Sit fly speeds in the tunnel can get ‘exciting’. If you lose control, the recovery position is to go to your back. Going to your belly at those speeds is not acceptable. SO you need to know how to back fly. You will also need to know how to walk in order to enter end exit the tunnel at those speeds. Walking also translates into sit flying since you are flying your body in the vertical plane.

Once you demonstrate you can sit fly at head down speeds, you will receive the HD briefing.

It is even more important to follow procedures when learning HD. It is labor-intensive for the Instructor(s) and the tunnel operator and bumps and bruises are the norm for all involved. You should check www.tunnelflight.com and look at the instructor rating for the tunnel you are planning on going to. The Instructor must be signed off to spot head down and there are several levels of head down as well. Depending on the tunnel, you may need to bring a coach. The coach must be proficient in walking at high speeds and flying head down on order to communicate with you what you need to do. Make sure when you call the tunnel you let them know your experience and goals.

Time spent on your head on the net is not wasted. Even being on the net, you are learning balance and skills that directly translate to free fall.

In the end, it costs less money and time to learn to fly in the tunnel and you will be a much stronger flyer.

Derek

The Instructor must be signed off to spot head down and there are several levels of head down as well.

Thats asumming you want to learn at an IBA tunnel.....

not saying we will let you jump in and try and flip on yr head...lol..

:S

Expect to be humbled in the tunnel. Skydivers have a tendency to over estimate their abilities and the tunnel will highlight that. Without a solid reference in the sky, it is easy to think that you are moving very little when, in fact, you are moving a lot more than you think.

Sit fly speeds in the tunnel can get ‘exciting’. If you lose control, the recovery position is to go to your back. Going to your belly at those speeds is not acceptable. SO you need to know how to back fly. You will also need to know how to walk in order to enter end exit the tunnel at those speeds. Walking also translates into sit flying since you are flying your body in the vertical plane.

Once you demonstrate you can sit fly at head down speeds, you will receive the HD briefing.

It is even more important to follow procedures when learning HD. It is labor-intensive for the Instructor(s) and the tunnel operator and bumps and bruises are the norm for all involved. You should check www.tunnelflight.com and look at the instructor rating for the tunnel you are planning on going to. The Instructor must be signed off to spot head down and there are several levels of head down as well. Depending on the tunnel, you may need to bring a coach. The coach must be proficient in walking at high speeds and flying head down on order to communicate with you what you need to do. Make sure when you call the tunnel you let them know your experience and goals.

Time spent on your head on the net is not wasted. Even being on the net, you are learning balance and skills that directly translate to free fall.

In the end, it costs less money and time to learn to fly in the tunnel and you will be a much stronger flyer.

Derek

Spot on post. I thought I was a good body flyer until I got in in the tunnel and recorded my flight on DVD(BTW get it recorded as this will by surely hasten your progression by cleaning up your flying quickly. You will be able to view the moves done correctly versus those done poorly which at the time in the tunnel is not always easy to burn into the mind and muscle memory.)

When I would get back to the DZ I would jump with much more confidence and frankly much cleaner precision. Can't fudge in a closed space...

Good Luck and Have Fun.