Jewels

Just Wondering About Your Ears

I went to the doctor today because my ears have been bothering me--YES, this does get around to the wind tunnel--and found out that I have infections in both ears. The doctor looked at my ears, looked at me, and said out of the blue, "So, do you do a lot of flying?" He thinks the wind tunnel might have something to do with this. Anyone else have this problem? More importantly, does anyone have any ideas as to how to prevent this from happening again? I'm already wearing ear plugs in the tunnel, of course, and the doctor suggested taking Sudafed before I get in, but I'm not crazy about the Sudafed thing. Then again, I'm not crazy about the pain thing, either. . . . B|
TPM Sister #102

I have felt very little pressure changes in the tunnel. In fact, I have taken in a skydiving altimeter and the effect was about the same as going up an elevator in a downtown office tower... Not that much. Grated, that was Eloy, not a recirc, but still...

So, if you think the tunnel is causing ear infections, stay away from office buildings (and hence BASE jumping is not for you either.:P)

But in all seriousness, why would flying and ear infections relate? Is it that "popping your ears" draws in grody stuff??? I would think he would have asked, "been swimming a lot" instead....:P

Yeah, I don't know, but he went directly to the question about flying and the tunnel was the only thing I had to offer. Apparently, it's not uncommon for frequent flyers to have ear problems--but we all know it's not 'cause I'm jumping out of any planes. He still seems to think the effect might be similar, but that's why I'm asking around. I haven't heard anyone else complaining about this.
TPM Sister #102

My ears begin to ache if I reuse my ear plugs, so I always use new ones.
I believe the ear plugs, like q-tips, are famous for pushing wax back and packing it in. I find this makes it more difficult to clear your ears, and trying to force them makes your ears sore. They should just clear with little effort. Like when you get water in the ear, it should come right out when you tip your head over, if not, something may be going on in there. Dunno if that helps?

Thanks to both of you! I don't usually have *any* problems with my ears feeling plugged or otherwise, so maybe this is just a fluke. I like the wax better than the regular ear plugs because the stuff actually stays in, but maybe I'll try to cut off the tips of the other ones and see how it goes. It would be worth it if it keeps infections away!

(I feel like a 5-year-old. Aren't kids supposed to be the ones who get ear infections???)
TPM Sister #102

Hey there Julie Bear!
I think the doc was asking about flying because the RECIRCULATED air inside of airliners is so cruddy that they probably treat alot of frequent flyers for ear/nose/throat infections. I had not considered until now that the RECIRCULATED air in the tunnel might be higher in germs, common sense says it should not be a factor with the huge volume of air and only a few people (compared to an airliner with about the same cubic volume and 135 people.) If you would just stop kissing the glass so much...

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

:P I have a very intimate relationship with my tunnel. How can you just expect me to back off like that? :|

Well you might just have to put up with those pesky ear infections then...:(

Yeah, headdown wasn't a great idea from my ears' perspective last night--but I'd do it again tonight if there was time. :D
TPM Sister #102