ryan_d_sucks

Worth it?

Hey,

I should be starting Static Line training in a couple of weeks when I go back to school. My biggest fear/concern with SL is funelling the exits and never getting stable, particularly the low altitude ones like the first couple of 5 second delay jumps. Since I might just be in Knoxville, TN for New Year's I was thinking about shooting over to Pigeon Forge and buying some time in the wind tunnel there. I don't have much money, and it would be a 1 day thing. I could maybe afford 5-10 minutes. Is buying that little amount of time even worth it? Will I gain any knowledge/ability to control myself that will help when I get the freefall portion of the SL progression? Should I just say fuck it and save my money for the actual jumps?
I appreciate any feedback.

Ryan

Cool thanks..

Although, after posting I read on here that the Pigeon Forge tunnel is a poor simulation of freefall compared to the other tunnels. Some people said it was more of a touristy fun attraction than a real learning tool. Is there anyone here who has flown the tunnel in Pigeon Forge, TN, and if so do you think I could learn anything about freefall body control from it?

Thanks a lot!

Turbulent air and balloon suits does not mean that you won't learn anything. Just make sure to communicate your goals to your instructor(s). We help tons of people get through AFF here in Vegas (nearly identical to PF tunnel). The more time your body spends in the wind the more muscle memory you will develop, modern wind or not.

The L-1 is a incredibly fun wind tunnel to fly, but I have to say it is more of an experienced flyer playground. I have flown in 7 tunnels and it was by far the most challenging, but again the most fun.

The most important thing is to just relax and have fun! Good luck.
Brad Hess
Manager
Vegas Indoor Skydiving

The tunnel can be used as a great learning tool, but I don't really think it's going to help you much.

What type of plane are you jumping from?
With static-line there isn't much in the way of free fall. Just present your body to the wind and arch. Do what you were tought.

Now putting money aside so you can get a larger ammount of time and have a little freefall experience would be a good idea. That way you will know what you need to work on and get more out of the experience.

Learn to be happy. You can't be there for anybody else in life if you can't learn to be there for yourself.