mdrejhon

Actual Windtunnel near Montreal undergoing testing!? (Canada). Early 2006 opening!?

I didn't know about this until today.

Is this for real????

Located 1 hour north of Montreal!?!
Already built it seems, and undergoing testing (it looks like it by the photos).

French page:
http://www.volrecreatif.com/levitarium.shtml

If true, this will be Canada's only operating windtunnel!!!!

I'm sure SkyVenture's design is vastly superior, but it may provide me with a way of praticing before the Canadian 80-ways in June if SkyVenture NH doesn't open before then. (Don't worry, SkyVenture -- I still wanna visit you anyway -- but a true Canadian tunnel less than 3 hours from here!)

Anybody who can provide more details about this Canadian windtunnel?

Ok, I found the contact information:
http://www.recreationalflight.com/contact_quebec.shtml

It appears to say that opening is postponed.

Remarkably little information is available about this windtunnel. It's not even listed on bodyflight.net at all. Anyone know the story behind this one? How did this windtunnel slip through the cracks?

Mark,
My French really stinks, and the wind tunnel doesn't rate an English-language version of the page, but from what I could decipher on the first site you posted, this appears to be a 10 foot diameter tunnel, with pretty low speeds - my guess is that the 200 kph (125 mph) speed they mentioned was a top speed... like I said, my French isn't so hot...

Also, from the picture of it, it does not appear to be a recirculator - its gonna be COLD in the winter, if they will even try to run it...

So I think heading to New Hampshire will still be your best bet, though it is a tease to have a tunnel so close. I'll probably be at SVNH a bunch, so PM me when you are coming down, and I'll make a point to say hi while you are there. It will be interesting to see if this one is successful or not. Do you know the area? Is it a big tourist area? A 10 footer probably won't get a lot of skydiver traffic, which means that it may be more dependent upon tourists to keep it going...

Just my uneducated guesses, based on my very poor translation of a French language web page :S I would be interested if others have more info on this one...

I first heard about it mid last year.. dug up the bookmark for the occassion:http://www.parajump.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1731&sid=beb0d82a2fc87b1161394d57309212fc but couldn't really tell that they had gotten anywhere then.

thanks for the update... we have an email out to our guess on the manufacturer for confirmation & details.
Bodyflight.net is a member built community, we do our best and count on all of you to help!

You're right. I thought it is probably not as good, but i might as well give them a 15 or 30 minute spin when (if) they open it's a day trip that won't require an overnighter. Even if I go at the last minute such May or June.

Nontheless, I can't wait to go to SkyVenture New Hampshire anyway, before or after the Canadian 80 way. :-)

Also, it appears that the email address of the wind tunnel operator is at [email protected] although I'm still waiting for a response. Hopefully they are bilingual and can understand my English email.

That would be the SECOND wind tunnel in Quebec. I flew in the first Quebecois wind tunnel back in 1981.
The Aerodium was built beside the Trans Canada Highway, near Victoriaville. It was recirculated air inside a concrete silo, so was comfortable during a December snow storm.
As the first of its kind, it was kind of slow (maybe 100 mph) so we had to wear loose, floppy suits that were almost as big as Krueger Balloon Suits.
There was a DZ beside the Aerodium for a few years, but I think it closed sometime during the 1990s.

That would be the SECOND wind tunnel in Quebec. I flew in the first Quebecois wind tunnel back in 1981.

I have a friend of mine who flew in that one in 1979 (or so he says). A group of friends spent $25 for a full HOUR of tunnel time...!

I really meant, the FIRST in Canada in a long time. ;)

This is the response I got...
(I sent an email inquiry around the same time I started this thread)

Hello Mark!

We are still under construction...I will send you any new information about the Saint Agathe wind tunnel as soon as possible
Thank you for your interest
Karine