OSOK

Going for the first time...

what can I expect

To be VERY sore

I wasn't sore after an hour.:P

You should expect to learn so much that you will be happy if you remember 1/2 of what you learn...

Then, about a month later, you will remember some of the stuff your brain hid away!!!

You should expect to learn so much that you will be happy if you remember 1/2 of what you learn...

Then, about a month later, you will remember some of the stuff your brain hid away!!!

:D:)
Log your tunnel time in your sky log book. Write down what your coach says. You aren't going to be able to process everything you have learned but they will give you many tips and suggestions. I have all of my time logged and it's almost 60 hours of coaching and being coached.

If you spend the $, take the time to write it down. It has helped me emensley when I need a jolt to remember the tip or trick that worked for me in the past.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

:D:)
Log your tunnel time in your sky log book. Write down what your coach says. I have all of my time logged and it's almost 60 hours of coaching and being coached.

If you spend the $, take the time to write it down. It has helped me emensley when I need a jolt to remember the tip or trick that worked for me in the past.

You know, the first 30 minutes I did, there was no way I could write down what I learned... Sure I could have written down, "fall straight, fall rate, turns, etc"... But how to do it? I remember sitting down and thinking, "what did he have me do with my elbows and forearms for..."

But I could "feel" what I learned and was able to implement it... It took another few hours of tunnel time until I could start seeing things, like sitting outside the tunnel and thinking, "that student is head low, I bet the coach will..." or put into words what I learned.

Travis

... what can I expect? I'm going for 45 minutes... what things will they teach me?

Expect think that you are doing really poorly. You'll be better than you think, it just won't feel that way.

Consider planning for a 2nd camp. Things really click better after you jump following the first camp and then followup a few months later. Lots of breakthroughs, especially 2nd and 3rd camps - from what I've seen.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I think it's just basic coached time... we're going on a group from down here... we go every other 2 months or so.

Sorry, I meant I was wondering what your flying skills were already. IE, did you book a RW coach and are interested in learning better RW skills, or are your working on your head down? ;)

Not sure who the coach will be, but the organizer is Pam Manos, from my DZ.

I've had this response when I was first organizing RW camps.

Ask Pam if you guys are hiring a dedicated coach(es) for your group or are utilizing the tunnel coaches. If she's hiring pros, likely she works with a single pro who also will bring one or two more to share the teaching load. It's a great format. You're very lucky.

What kind of training are you looking for - 4way/mantis, or freefly progression, or basic skills camp (usally progresses to a mantis/belly skills).

BTW - I know that many of the tunnel attendants at some of SVs are top notch RW coaches and competitors in their own right, so even if she's not contracting an outside "pro", that doesn't mean you won't get great training from a "pro" that happens to work in the tunnel regularly. In fact, some of the best 4way basic skills training I've had was with one coach we contracted for our camp a couple years ago who was also the tunnel attendant from the year before - Rusty Lewis, the guy is an amazing flyer, you should see his 4way scores from his team last year, and one hell of a coach. These tunnel professionals are amazing in skill and ability to teach.

Either way, it's a great experience. But if it's your first camp, best to have someone committed to covering all the sessions, that means more than just one coach in the tunnel coaching and rotating in with the campers.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Thanks for the info reh. I'm pretty sure it's a basic skills camp, doing belly stuff. I think we're using the coaches that work there, and Pam will be coaching too I think... that makes me happy as she's an amazing skydiver. I asked around what I'd be learning and I was told besides the basics, the mantis... which is something I "really" wanna learn.

I know this is a late post, but maybe it will help someone in the future....

If you want to take the edge of the soreness when you first start in the tunnel, then try some exercise.

What I do is stand in a doorway and put my forearms flat on the frame on either side, then lean forward and do some simulated pushups....If you are back flying, do the opposite.....It helps me tremendously...

Cheers

I just returned from SVO and had a wonderful time - it was my first tunnel experience. :)

To avoid the stiffness/soreness in the morning, each night after 'camp' I ran 3 miles (OK, it was just 2.8 but who's counting) did 100 sit ups and about 25 push ups. I run regularly anyway, usually 3 miles at 12min/mile pace. The sit ups and push ups helped move lactic acid out of my muscles (it's one of the reasons muscles hurt in the morning). Stretching out in the morning before camp helped a lot, too.

I learned a lot and I feel safer in the air. Have a great time! :)

TPM #59 POPS #9849 PMS #477