YISkyDive

New wind tunnel Idea.

Its 2:20 am, and I am sick of studying exams.. but why has no one come up with a dual chamber wind tunnel?

Kinda a mix of an offspring from FlyAway and Skyventure.

In the middle is power house- above it would be a flyaway tunnel and beneath it would be the skyventure tunnel.

Just some random thought I hd that maybe was already explored. I dont know what the dynamics of the fly away and skyventure tunnel engines are so maybe to produce the right amount of airflow for the skyventure tunnel maybe way to turbulent for the fly away tunnel..

beats me, im not an engineer or even an engineer to be.

PS I patented this idea! ;);)

I can think of a few reasons I wouldnt go to paper with this as an idea.... but I like your train of thought! lol

The vertical height of such a building would be huge - add alot of cost the higher you build.

You would only be able to control one speed for either group of flyers - not nice if you have a big guy at the bottom for the small girl in the top tunnel ;):D

Same issues really as the idea of multiple levels of flying also - sounds on the surface like a money saver but not sure of the practicalities

:)

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

It's a great idea to have a dual 'chamber', unfortunately, you can't get a flyaway type air outta 4 or 5 fans below (although that could improve Flyaway:)
However blowing tunnels are not affected by mutliple levels of flyers and do not change speed regardless of who or what you put into the air column, and are excellent for this application.

We call them multi-level since they aren't necessarily contained within walls, and not only is it a good idea but it's in full production already!

I'm feeling a pyschic vision coming on: I predict by the end of 2006 there will be two multi-level VWTs in the U.S.

Definitely not a money saver as Paulipod mentioned... although they do not need to be contained within a building, of course, but there still is added expense. The benefit comes in when you can push 40-50 tourists or tunnelrats through per hour instead of the typical 20 or so.

I wouldn't actually. Think... load organizing..
I could fly 15-20 feet above you or 15-20 feet below you now in almost any tunnel (except those whose air columns are too short)... It wouldn't much matter with the right amount of distance especially if the bottom column was contained within wall to wall air, since the air will have nowhere to go but up it won't detract from the upper column.

:Pwe need to do something about that avatar of yours!:P I think I have a photo of you I could use, too bad I can't change your avatar for you;)

-B|layla

So how do you handel it when you've got a 4 way team that wants the power at 80% and a few freefliers that need it at 90% to fly comfortable? Or would the freefliers have to wait till after the belly fliers are done? If thats the case I fail to see what you are gaining.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I wouldn't handle it like that at all...nor would I expect it to happen like that very often unless this fictional tunnel is ON a dropzone.

I would happily put tourists, whuffos and tunnelrats in the mix to even the balance, we're only talking about a few miles an hour difference between groups. I really don't see it being that big of a deal... when the speed is slower you wear bigger suits, when it's faster, smaller etc or wait for a slower time.. like we do now when flying in mixed groups.

The gain is money made while doubling your capacity for tourists for sure.. that's where the good money is at. If there is a group that can't fly at whatever speed is currently going, then they wait.. no worse off than the current situation with limited availability.