Slink

Safe Sit Flying?

You did'nt miss read that. Velcro is safe for freeflying as long as its PROPERLY maintained. Like replacing it every 100 jumps or less. Most people dont take care of the velcro in a timly manner. There arelots of Vector 3's floating around out there that have velcro riser covers and velcro closing flaps that safe to freely (dive to the formation for Remi ;)) in on a regular basis. It all somes down to gear maintence. Mini-risers are to be replaced every so many jumps.... how many people do that? Velcro MUST be maintained on a regular basis if you want to push your gear to the edge. Its when you letthe velcro go just a few jumps more is when you start to have problems..... Velcro was used for years before tuck tabs. Tuck tabs are a great invention, but if you look in Parachutest a few months ago at the skysurfing article there is a pic of someone surfing with an ROL on.
Flying on your belly is great..... if thats all you can do! ;)

bang on apoil "best advice i have heard yet".
I only have to add one thing more if you want to sit fly in my opinion you have not only gotta take a look out for riser covers and exposed bits and pieces ( velcro is good as long is it is looked after) but how about your leg straps? i did my first sit jump with my teardrop container chest strap was tight leg straps were tight, however when i went into a sit i could feel my leg straps edging along under my thighs (which is kinda scary i felt) so first thing i did was procure some bungee cord and using the fastners that were already on my leg straps i pulled em up tight and showed an instructor. feels a lot better now!
just my 10 cents
this pigeons gotta fly
mooooooose

I also jump a Dolphin, I do sit and stand jumps.
My rig is not a Dolphin 2000 so I don't know if my advice is relevant to them but I did some improvement on my rig to make it safer:
1. I added some Velcro going from the BOC pouch up to the flap, so that any exposed bridle is velcroed to the container and not gust hanging free.
2. I added the elastic string connecting the leg straps at the back. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT - I did this after in one jump, after I had many sit jumps and I really fasten the straps, my straps came up to my knee at about 4,500 ft.
I immediately went on my back and got the strap back up, then to my box position and pulled at 3,000 ft. THIS WAS NOT FUN!!!
3. Make sure the Velcro on the reserve pin flap is strong, if not – replace it.
Of course these modifications were made by my rigger on my request.
If you want I can send you a photo of the modifications on my rig.
I recommend making these modifications before sit flying a Dolphin.
Blue skies and safe landings,
David
See my photos and video

clay et all...
Speaking of the pull out BOC.... its a great thing to have IF AND ONLY IF you will not be jumping in colder weather.. why do i say this? because, it can be hard enough to find your hackey with gloves on, now eliminate the defining roundness of that, and put in its place something that feels like a leg strap (or its equivilant). I was looking towards a Voodo with that option but a good friend and highly experienced skydiver (Camera flyer for IPOC skysurf) brought this point to light.
I dont want a reserve ride, and i especially dont want one cause i was tugging on my harness system/leg strap and not the first part of my main parachute deployment system.
remember that your gear may be jumped in all different conditions such as higher altitude, denser air, colder or more humid days etc etc (not saying that all these things effect what method of deployment you use.)
kel

Speaking of the pull out BOC.... its a great thing to have IF AND ONLY IF you will not be jumping in colder weather..

I strongly disagree.. I have jumped a pull-out with gloves on, without gloves on, and in extremely cold(25-30 degrees on the ground) weather - never had a problem.. Your experienced friend that turned you away from pull out is just one opinion.. I have never had a problem grabbing the wrong thing on a pull out.. Granted - I don't have all that many jumps on pull outs - but I know guys that have been jumping pull out for years, and have thousands of jumps on 'em in all conditions without a problem..
Mike