GratefulDreamer

1st Time In Tunnel

So last weekend I did my first 15 minutes of Tunnel Time at AAC. It is an awesome tunnel with great people! I have 56 jumps and it was so hard for me in the tunnel. I am going back tomorrow with my frustration turned into determination because I really want to learn and progress in my skills. I was really stiff and I guess I was just nervous, but in freefall I have this mad arch. I have come to the conclusion that it is mind over matter and I need to relax just as I would in the sky and not worry about hitting the net, also I need to realize that I have a much smaller flying space than the huge ass sky.
I have been practicing on my bed just a basic arch, forward and backward movement and moving side to side just to get the muscle memory down.

Anyone got any similar stories and advice?
-Tammy, Pink Mafia Sister #190
Pink Mafia Tunnel Sister #20

Tammy, although I have tons of time in SVO, tunnels I don't fly frequently offer different envorinments that I'm not used to can be frustrating, challenging, rewarding, and fun (for me at least). I think lots of people have similar stories me included, it was :D:D:D It's tough to go from walls to no walls, be happy you are learning without first;) The important thing is you went back and your tunnel and sky flying will improve greatly. Keep it up and let me know how its going.

Glad you got bit by the tunnel bug, can't be the scenery or coaching at AAC either. Everything about that place is great! You have a great tunnel to fly all the time and fireworks on Monday, I'm so green over here. Please share your pics if you have a way to :)
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I have 4.5 hours of tunnel time now - and I find it still challenging to fly in the tunnel. In the sky, if you track away 10 feet from your friends, you can come back with a smile... In the tunnel, I was doing some 4way, and I tracked 6 inches away from the formation and ended up falling out the door or up against the glass...

But, it is, in my opinion, the best way to build freefall skills...

Here is my arch story, and maybe it is what is happening to you... As you change your arch, you also can change your forward and backward movement until you build the skills to "fall down the pipe" at any speed/arch... Are you doing what I did in my first 15 minutes - having a hard time changing your arch because you are finding it "linked" to your forward and backward movement... Hence, your range is much less in the tunnel than the sky because your mind does not yet know how to correct the forward/backward movement at the different arch positions??? The two drills which helped me a lot... 1) Hover for 2.5 minutes 6" directly off the center of the net as the guy behind the glass slowly changes the wind speed. 2) Fly with a coach/friend/tunnel rat... They go up and down and suddenly stop. You follow them and stop where they do... Once you get good, use the complete range of the tunnel so you start high, go down quickly, and stop 6" off the net without "bouncing" or "overcorrecting". (Think of a car slamming on brakes at a stop sign as opposed to a spring loaded stop with a bounce.)

That is my best guess from my experience. Or it could be much more simple... You say you were stiff... Were you fighting fall rate, where a good arch would have you falling out?? If so, start with that arch and let the operator see you need more speed to get you up... I did that too, and once the wind was turned up I was much more comfortable than fighting falling slow because the air was slow.;)