FFAddict

Instructors

Just a couple of questions for all you current or past tunnel instructors (skyventure,bodyflight....any really)

How did you get into being an instructor, did you apply for advertised jobs, become a tunnel bum and just get offered a job... and at what tunnel

How much experience, if any, did you have in both skydiving and tunnel time when you started?

Ok, I'll field this one, since no one else is biting..

in the US, SkyVenture EXCLUDED, it would be a good idea to become a regular visitor at the tunnel you would like to work at, and this will often lead to a job. Additionally, and SkyVenture would fit this category, be on the lookout for advertised Jobs which popup from time to time in Parachutist, Skydiving & on their websites. It's not a BAD idea to become a SkyVenture regular, I just don't think it will increase your odds of getting a job that isn't advertised.

We keep a list of instructors looking for work and send them wherever is needed when work is available but most of our list is comprised of folks willing to travel.. how do we find them..? at a wind tunnel of course and by recommendation! The rest of the time, they find us.

It's a limited industry for now, patience is key and improving your skills in the meantime for a future job is always a good idea, no matter what industry it is. And it keeps you plugged in, which is of course the most important!

How did you get into being an instructor,

Worked in the area and for the DZ for a couple years and was offered a position.

How much experience, if any, did you have in both skydiving and tunnel time when you started?

3000+ jumps, and about 1 hour of tunnel time.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I got my job by luck. I was in the right place at the right time and said the right things. what happened to me is not the norm. PM me and I'll give you some ideas.

-Bowen
Retired Tunnel Instructor, Sky/Tunnel Coach

Former dealer for 2k Composites, Skysystems, Alti-2, Wings

Yah, you think being a tunnel rat is glamorous, but on the skydiving hierarchy they rank just below toilet scrubbers (but still above packers :P)

At first I thought it would be cool to be a tunnel rat. But then I saw that they actually have to work pretty hard. I spent a half-hour in the Orlando tunnel Saturday night. After the session we gave a tip to the rat, and he looked pretty grumpy because it just started to rain, and he had to get back in B|:ph34r:
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I was a Skydiver for about 4 years before I started working with Skyventure Orlando. I heard from a couple of people that they were looking for instructors. Several people told me it was IMPOSSIBLE to get the job. So I applied. At the time I was working as a computer programmer, and a packer at Skydive DeLand.
I went to Skyventure, filled out an application. Two weeks later, I got a phone call from the General Manager telling me they were interested in getting me to attend the "try-outs". So I went to be tested on my ability to perform several basic tasks in the tunnel (That allowed them to evaluate my abilities). A couple of days later I got a phone call telling me I was hired if I could take a semester off school. After considering, I said "Hell Yeah! I'll do it! None of the current instructors were ever "tunnel bums". Most instructors wern't Skydivers before working at the tunnel.
I had about 1450 jumps and about 3 hours of tunnel time before I started working in the tunnel.
Working at the tunnel has been the most educational experience I have had regarding Body Flight.