Atmodude

recirculating wind tunnel a must ?

currently the only open air tunnel that you can fly in during the rain without getting wet is the L1 in North Carolina, simply because the intake is far away from where you fly, and the air is strong enough that even heavy rain doesn't penetrate.

Unfortunately, they are all subject to cold weather when they are located outside, although you can contain an open air facility within a larger building, keeping it 'open air', while circulating the climate controlled building air to maintain temperature.

Although I believe we can take the 'bite' out of cold outside air in completely outdoor system, it seems impossible (not impossible BUT extremely expensive & wasteful of energy) to keep it a comfy warm temperature.

currently the only open air tunnel that you can fly in during the rain without getting wet is the L1

Definitely dont get wet in Zurich... :)

Hey Paul!
I always thought that would be the case, since the intake is enclosed in the basement. BUT I usually get corrected. Course it's been a couple of years since one of us flew there, but I was under the impression that you still get wet.. I mean.. rain falls onto the airbag, then rolls down into the column and up it goes.. and since it's not uniform (darn close I know) it goes throughout the column. Except when they put a cover on it of course for rain (do they still do that), but that takes some of the fun out of being open air.. and then when the walls are up I guess that would help prevent rain, but then it's not as much open air anymore...

at least that's what I've been told.... have you had a chance to be there in inclement weather?
Blue Skies & Fast Tunnels,
Dawn Suiter

They do have a cover the goes over the side padded areas - so waiting flyers are ok too (the air column is not covered but obviously the wind takes care of that water!)

It was a little cold when I was there last too - but gloves sorted that one out...

I was worried at first when it started to rain, I thought I was gonna get stung (been in Orlando in the wet and it wasnt pleasant) but as you say the intake is protected so no problem

Out of each of the tunnels I have flown - rain in the face has been the only thing that has slightly spoiled my playtime!

:D

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

in the cone

what do you mean by that..?

"In the cone" is tunnel speak for being in the wind.

"I coached 12 hours of tunnel last mth, but was only in the cone for 6."

Started and is used most by the people who have been around the Bragg tunnel.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Jeez Dawn, don't you understand "tunnelspeak". Maybe you should spend more time around tunnel people. :P:P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Jeez Dawn, don't you understand "tunnelspeak". Maybe you should spend more time around tunnel people.

Maybe just spend more time at Bragg.;)

I have only heard it called that there, or by ex Bragg folk.

"In the column" is the same thing.

I have a feeling she would have understood that.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Jeez Dawn, don't you understand "tunnelspeak". Maybe you should spend more time around tunnel people. :P:P

Your cute! When we refer to "the cone" we are speaking of the profile of the jet.. having a cone would be interpreted to mean that the profile is not uniform and that it is faster in the middle than on the edges... since I knew Ft. Bragg to be basically a uniform profile, I was confused...

:)and thanks Ron!