prboldin

Tunnel Cost

www.skyventureorlando.com
or
www.skyventure.com

There are coaching packages from the tunnel employees which is usually cheaper than hiring a skydiver as a coach. The tunnel employees are great in Orlando and I know I'm thankful for the time and tips they give me when I fly with them. Employees or skydiver, youi can't go wrong but expect to pay a bit.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I had offers from freelance coaches starting at $50

I've seen what some of the freelance coaches teach in there, and I won't pay them for what they were teaching, and how they were teaching. It's too bad that any one can call themselves a tunnel coach and charge people. Some people get taken. They pay to learn and the coach doesn't teach them a thing or teaches them the wrong body position.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I've learned alot just by watching the Airspeed camps etc and the few really good freelance coaches.

It all comes down to a little information and alot of practice, however you learn it. I am so glad I live by a tunnel and have the opportunity to spend hours and hours watching. And to think, I was ready to leave Orlando before I got involved with this :)

I've seen what some of the freelance coaches teach in there, and I won't pay them for what they were teaching, and how they were teaching.

Yes, but there are also some incredibly good freelance coaches.

prboldin - your best bet is to contact either the tunnel that you want to go to or a local dropzone and ask about coaching. Talk to other people who have gotten coaching and ask who they would recommend.

I personally know at SkyVenture Orlando that most of the instructors who work for the tunnel are very good coaches, obviously some are better than others. The benefit to using an instructor who works there is that there is no additional charge (unless you call ahead and pre-arrange the coaching in which case ignore the following downsides.) The downside is you will probably get less of an initial briefing, you don't know which instructor you will get and you will probably get less of a debrief after flying.

If you hire a good freelance coach then that coach will go over everything you are going to work on before getting into the tunnel and debrief the video after. It will also cost you more money. Find a coach that other people have used and recommend if you decide to hire a freelance coach.

SkyVenture Orlando have all the block time prices listed here. Getting a video of your session is free if you have your own tape - it cost $5 to buy a video tape there.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. :)
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

Please note what I said:

I've seen what some of the freelance coaches teach in there, and I won't pay them for what they were teaching, and how they were teaching.

I suggest asking what training the freelance coach has had in the tunnel, and what qualifications they have to be a coach.

Yes, there are some great coaches out there that teach very well in the tunnel. Just ask Mailin, I've attached a picture of her first AFF jump after about 1 1/2 hours of training with Olaf.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Please note what I said

Yup, and I agree completely with you. There are some people out there calling themselves tunnel coaches that charge money and actually make the people they are coaching worse flyers!

I just wanted to make sure to say that there are good coaches out there as well, I don't want anyone getting scared away from hiring a freelance coach.

I suggest asking what training the freelance coach has had in the tunnel, and what qualifications they have to be a coach

Excellent suggestion, I completely agree.
:)
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

You are so right, I should have also hit on the good coaches. Sorry, I tend to get going too fast when I'm posting at work, and just want to hurry up and get my reply up before I get pulled back into the work world.

Thank you for all your comments; they have been most helpful. Skydivers are good peeps. I won't be in Orlando anytime soon, but there is a windtunnel on the base where I work (used for HALO school and the Golden Knights). I don't know the likelihood, but I've heard that if you make the right friends, you can squeeze in there. If any of you know any such friends let me know. Thanks again.

-P

Flyaway Indoor Skydiving in Pigeon Forge, TN - $125 for a book of 5 flights, includes coaching, 15 minutes of air time, all gear, and video is about $15 more bucks. Non skydiver coaches but all tunnel rats.

Appalachian Amusement Center in Waynesville, NC - $600 per hour, includes coaching, flight time, gear & videos are free if you provide your own tape. Skydiver coach & tunnel rat.

Also see the tunnel coaching links on the DZ.com Tunnel page: http://www.dropzone.com/links/Training_and_Coaching/Wind_Tunnels/index.html

These are the two tunnels closest to you.. AAC about 6 hours, and Flyaway about 7.5 hours by car.
Flyaway is more for fun than intense skydiving training and AAC is good for realistic freefall practice.

and of course everyone else already mentioned SkyVenture Orlando. There are other tunnels here in the States, but these 3 are all within close proximity to Ft. Bragg.

Good luck!

How much does tunnel time cost?

Depends on the tunnel and how much time you get. Skyventure Orlando it's 630/hr.

Coach instruction?

100/hr is what I charge...Some charge more.

Video?

Bring a tape and it's free.

A good thing to do is a camp. Airspeed has camps, my team holds camps.

We charge 630/hr and 100/day coaching. A very fair rate.

More info: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1314150#1314150
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Yes, there are some great coaches out there that teach very well in the tunnel. Just ask Mailin, I've attached a picture of her first AFF jump after about 1 1/2 hours of training with Olaf.

Olaf also helped me a ton. I like his style of coaching, he'll push you but give you the right tools to succeed.

Most of the tunnel coaches are hot too! I never mind too much being manhandled when I screw up :D. Esp. some of those freelancers:D, man they are smokin:)
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

[We charge 630/hr and 100/day coaching. A very fair rate.

Ron - You might want to edit that bit. You guys are worth more than that.

General comment - Organizing a camp of several jumpers works nicely as the tunnel offers discounts for large hour blocks (12 hours for the price of 10, e.g.). That savings can be used to offset coaching costs. Everyone wins. Best to find a good coach who can also organize a large camp - that's what we do. This time around we are hoping for a block of 24 hours. We're close, and looking forward to a huge learning experience with top notch coaches. And those guys work hard in that tunnel, imagine 4 to 6 hours a day in the tunnel with more than half of that flying hard - do that 2 or 3 days in a row......

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants