Punky_Monkey

how much tunnel time for a 1st timer?

I am planning on going to the Orlando wind tunnel in spring. By then I will be a licensed skydiver. (for those concerned in canopy control I will be taking canopy control seminars/workshops this summer)

I want to work on basic skills and maybe touch on RW.

But the question remains how much time should I book? I have been told 10 minutes for a 1st time tunnel flyer and then have also been told as much as I want..

Someone please help[:/] How much time?
Punky Monkey
You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them how to fly in formation

10 minutes out of a half hour block is a good amount. The first time I did 15 minutes out of a half hour block I felt tired the last time in. I'm out of shape. If your run or something 15 mins should be OK.

Spread your time out: 20-30 mins out of a hour block max. So, you can take a break, review your video tape(very helpful), and decide what to work on next.

An hour total in the tunnel would give you a good boost in freefalling skills. Talk with your tunnel intructors about what you want to work on, they can be very helpful. :)
Cheers

Thanks for the insight...it is very helpful..I think I will book for 15 minutes...All I want at this time is a boost in the freefall skills. Especially after this winter in WI..I haven't been able to make as many jumps as I would like.

Next year I do plan on doing a tunnel camp.

Thanks again for the insightB|
Punky Monkey
You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them how to fly in formation

More important than the amount of time you do is how you use it. Just hoping in the tunnel isn't gonna infuse you with a world of new skills. Make sure you get hooked up with some decent coaching.

A good plan might be to do 10 to 15 minutes with a coach, have them talk about your goals with you and then come up with a plan. Then execute the plan. Do a thouro debrief with them.

Then you might want to schedual a similar block later in the day or the next day to work on what you've learned so you can "set" the memory. Ask if the coach might review this second session as well......
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Great ideas Diablopilot! I totally agree with a good coach and awesome debrief.

I know I learn the most from my tunnel time when I do 20 minutes or something close, debrief, then fly another session with a hour between. I'm also in good tunnel shape so time between sessions may want to be increased.

Being able to debrief, see yourself, then get back in the tunnel has helped imporve my tunnel flying a ton. I've gone from a laughing stock, to a capable flyer. Well, somewhat of a capable flyer. :D:D;)
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I do plan on using a coach when I go to the tunnel, I have also talked with my current freefall coach and he has some things that he would like to see me work on in the tunnel. Which presents another question...Do I use the one they have available or is there another place where I can get one from...

Sorry for all the questions but I am new at this tunnel thing.
Punky Monkey

Sally Hathaway from zhills (www.tunnelcoach.com) has booked lots of time slots in the Orlando tunnel over the next months, you can check her schedule at that website....and if you have the time, I recommend a coach jump or two with her to practice in the air what you train in the tunnel.

The coaches working at the tunnel are all very good too, depending on what you want to work on....

marc

10 or 15 minutes? NUTS

If you are in good shape, take a 2 hour tunnel camp and spread it out over two days.

If you are in bad shape, then get in shape and take a 2 hour tunnel camp and spread it out over two days.

Or at least an hour. Do you really want to go there and only go in one time for a quarter hour (that's only 7 two minute sessions..?)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I have decided that I am going to do two 15 minute sessions...Each over an hour, so it's about 30 minutes tunnel time total. I am booking with Sally. Might even do a few actually jumps with her if time permits.

I feel that, that is the right amount for me. If I had the money two do 2 hours of flying right now I probably would but I also have a flight and hotel to pay for...And then I still have my regualar jumping to do...I do want to get off student status.

In Wi where I am we haven't been able to do that much jumping. Between my jump 19 and 20 it was 6 weeks due to weather. I had developed a slow turn when I wanted to fall straight down. I had this problem early on for about 2 jumps. Since I haven't been able to jump much I want to take advantage of the tunnel and work on this and hopefully get back to the point or better than I was before winter and slow jumping began.

I fell the tunnel will help but need to save the majority of my money for real jumping and equipment. Everyone was a student at one time so I am sure you can understand.

I also wanted to say thanks for everyone help.
Punky Monkey

Good luck with it. You'll have fun and learn a ton. Two 15 minute sessions might even be enough to make the rest of your AFF pretty easy.

My point was that unless you are in pretty bad shape, even an hour total time in one day shouldn't do much of anything in terms of stiffness. You won't even feel two 15 minute sessions hopefully (other than you'll be jazzed and want more). Drink water, stretch good and relax.

I'm bringing a group of 15 campers from Minnesota/Wisconsin down in March for some formal coaching in the tunnel. it's a great thing to do each year. I don't think anyone is bringing their gear, we can jump when we get home (we have planes in Wi, just no tunnel).

And, yeah, the weather here since late October has really stunk for winter jumping.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Once you are off student status and know for certain if this is something you want to persue on a higher level, then I recommend going back to do more time! (But then again, that will be obvious to you once you have been there.) ;)

We where 3 who did 12+ hours total over 5 days. We had a lot to learn, so the time was not a bit too much.

Don't worry about the time. Just train ahead of the camp.
Run, do situps, pushups and back exercises as well as serious stretching. (As you must always before engaging in sports activities)

Best thing is to do 30 min sessions, and share with another. That way you you are rested and get maximum value of the tunnel time. :)

10 or 15 minutes? NUTS

If you are in good shape, take a 2 hour tunnel camp and spread it out over two days.

If you are in bad shape, then get in shape and take a 2 hour tunnel camp and spread it out over two days.

What kind of "shape" are you referring to? I don't think I was in terrible shape last year when I did 15s (of 30 and 60min sessions) on two successive days. My shoulders were definitely aching. This same summer I swam to shore from Alctraz 3 times.

I'm sure I was imparting more stiffness than necessary. More so than any other 1st timer, I can't tell.

I was in on a cold night at Thanksgiving where I got pretty tired by the end of the 15, so I would definitely love to figure it out and improve on it. I'm not getting value on the last 2 min session, or if I went longer.