rhys

Current price for a tandem rating in the USA?

Hi,

What is the current going rate (ballpark) in the USA for a complete Sigma Tandem rating, From medical, paperwork and exam jumps...?

Also what is involved in transferring an Australian or New Zealand tandem rating to a USPA version?

Any information really appreciated.

thanks,

Rhys
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

My cost (as a USPA member who already held a coach rating):
Medical - $80
Course - $300
Jumps - 19 slots at the going rate (solo, 4 jumps with the evaluator, 5 with a licensed jumper)
Video - 4 slots (recommended but not required at my course)
Equipment rental / packing - $35/jump x 10 jumps
USPA rating fee - $40
RWS fees - can't remember
Total - About $1600

The course price varies with area and demand. Also, some courses charge a per-jump evaluation fee, mine included it in the course fee.

I'm not sure about transferring foreign ratings. You might try asking somebody like Bram Clement (skydivingratings.com). He also has a full rate card for his courses on that website.

Edit: Changed the number of slots, forgot the first one was a solo.

pretty much everything indyz said but I'm just finishing up my tandem rating. So far my cost is a little under $1000

1 solo, 1 as passanger, and 8 with exp jumper=18 slots

last I checked you weren't allowed to have video until you had 10 tandem jumps.

$25 per jump for gear rental and I packed my own.
USPA is $40

Medical I already had which is anywhere from $60-$100

and then course fees will vary
Na' Cho' Cheese

I don't remember exactly but before the course I was figuring about $800. But I think it must be below average because my DZ gave us free gear rentals and I don't think most of my passengers even made me cover their slot. Video of my first 2 jumps was at no cost as well.

My medical was about $50-75 or so. Don't remember exactly. I just remember that the medical examiner I chose was much cheaper than most... maybe half of the average price. Quick and easy exam too.

Dave

indyz's gear rental rates may be on the low side. When I crosstrained to sigma at Perris a couple of years ago I paid $50.00/jump for gear.
For a guy with your experience and an active sigma rating you should have to make one or two jumps at most to get your USPA rating.

Yeah, my rental price was a guess. I got my rental comped because I was joining the staff, so I only had to pay for packjobs.

What is involved in a coach rating?

Leigh will have 6000 jumps when she does the course.

Will I also need a coach rating to cross credit my existing tandem rating?

Thanks for all your help.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

As I mentioned, it would probably be best to talk to an experienced tandem director like Bram to find out what the transition requirements are. The Instructional Rating Manual mentions abbreviated transition training for people with current non-USPA tandem ratings. There is also similar language for the AFF rating. It's unclear to me if transitioning foreign ratings requires getting a Coach or other USPA rating first.

Even if you do need to get a coach rating, it's cheap and easy, especially for somebody with your experience. A lot of places schedule the coach course back-to-back with the rating course, so you might be able to knock it all out in a long weekend.

You can download the IRM Essentials here. It lists all of the requirements for each rating.

Edit: I meant "unclear".

I'm a Vector/Sigma Examiner and my first question would be ...Do you have a current Vector/Sigma rating from UPT?....

I have a Vector/Sigma rating in New Zealand. I'm not sure what that means as far as the USPA or UPT are concerned though?

OK...sounds like you do have the manufacturers rating....a United Parachute Technologies(the former Relative Workshop) examiner had to have done your tandem rating course and you should have received a rating card from UPT(or relative workshop at the time). If that is the case then to get a USPA tandem rating is as simple as sitting thru alittle 1 on 1 class with an examiner and filling out a USPA proficency card. The jumps that you did to get you initial rating can used for the USPA rating..

Cool,

Thanks everyone for the help, a couple of people have contacted me on P/M's I'll reply when I know a few more things about my schedule.