humanflite

AFFi's - Your AFF experiences? best and worst...

Im curious really.
Becoming an AFFi is something I definately want to do a good few years down the road, and I would love to hear your experiences as AFFis..both good and bad..

eg/ Your best jumps/students

Your worst student jumps

and anything else interesting and relevant ;)

I don't have many stories as I've only been an AFFI for a little over a year.... but a recent 'best'..

Last weekend, for her 18th birthday, a girl jumped. She was typical teen at first, all eye-rolling and snotty, but the more I worked with her, the more of her story came out. She was extremely quiet, very shy, had been in 'a facility' for residential treatment of some form, I gathered behaviorally related. She was very insecure, that rough age that girls go through of no faith in themselves, no real concept that THEY are in control of their lives. It was one of her mentors that inspired her to skydive.

So, we're in the plane on the ride up, she's fine. Until the door opens. And then she's fetal trying to merge with the pilot's seat (cessna). I ask if she's ready to skydive. She says no. I offer a go-around, or ride the plane down. She says, 'let's just do this and be done with it'. I verify that she's sure, she is. I climb out, vidiot climbs out. She is staring out the plane, absolutely fucking terrified. I'd never seen that kind of fear before. So the reserve instructor pretty much nudges her out the door, she's moving like she wants to go, so I grab her harness and yank her on the step. She has a death grip on the strut and looks completely paniced. So I start screaming 'check in, check out, prop, up, down, arch' in her ear. She goes through all the motions, has the nicest exit I've had yet with a student, despite the fact that she screamed her guts out (a first for me to hear an AFF student scream). About 3 seconds into freefall, she scissors kicks, but the rest of the jump is fine. She did everything she was supposed to, pulled at 6 k.

When we landed, it was like meeting a completely different woman... she walked straighter, made eye contact, stood taller, and for the first time, she had a huge grin on her face. I made sure that she knew that SHE made the jump, SHE did the work, and she did a great job! Of all the students I've worked with, she's the one I hope the most comes back.

Best part is... all of this is on video :)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I am NOT an AFFI, but I would imagine that the story linked below is probably the "worst" for some AFFI. :(:(:(:(

http://www.uspa.org/USPAMembers/Safety/AccidentReports/tabid/81/ctl/Detail/mid/785/Default.aspx?xmdata=C8pYIj%2bshj%2fFhaZrMdDjn94G257vD%2f0JtM97t9jOfsdKiPT66BQJZYZgvq0wYNdOTiwa2KnR1Oc%3d
:|:|:|

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Thats sad.... I couldnt see a date on the article, but kudos to the instructor for sticking to his hard deck (almost)... It sounds like the student panicked when they couldnt find the hackey and it got worse from then on?

That fatality was earlier this year, I believe. There's a thread in Incidents on it somewhere. Unfortunately, that's the reality of AFF...students can panic, students can be hurt, students can die. It's a lot of weight to carry, and something to need to be aware of every single AFF jump. Don't get complacent. But also understand that it is possible for a student to get away from even the very best of instructors, you can't save them all from everything.

I had a coaching student 2 years ago, just off of AFF, turned low, flared high, landed straight on his ass, and broke his back in 2 places. He was off radio by that point, and we had covered landing patterns just prior to the jump. There was absolutely nothing I could have done to prevent the injury, but even now I still blame myself for it.

If you're going to do AFF, be ready for absolutely anything.

Here's a best/worst that illustrates that point.... I had a student, a girl, first jump, out of a cessna. I was main side, so climbed out first. As she started climbing out, she snagged her bridle, so I'm watching 1.5 ft of bridle flapping in the wind. Then the main flap pops open. I'm shaking my head 'no' to the other instructor, and yelled for the student to climb back in, as I'm watching the main pin intermittently shifting.

We got her back in the plane, I wave 'bye' to the video guy, since it would be almost impossible for him to climb back in from his perch hanging from the rear of the door, I get back in, close the door, do some in-plane rigging (about 1mm of main pin was left in the loop), we do a go around, and the jump goes flawlessly.

This student was a tiny girl, so easy to get back in the plane, and completely calm. Any other student could have taken down the plane entirely by fucking around and not getting back in quick enough or had a horse-shoe if I resorted to dragging the student off the plane myself (that thought crossed my mind). She told me on the ground after I complemented her quick thinking and ability to do exactly what was needed at the time to having 4 kids... 'after 4 kids, nothing gets to you any more'.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

You should get plenty of good stories from this thread.

I have had several good ones. Just two weeks ago had a group of three (mother, daughter, and daughters boy friend) who wanted to do AFF for their once in a life time thing. I encouraged a tandem but that was not what they wanted, so I expressed the safety concerns and how serious they needed to take the FJC, even if for only one jump. All seemed well so off we went with the mother, which ended as an average L1 and a happy smile. Boyfriend was next with the flattest superman position I have ever seen but uneventful. Now it is the daughters turn and to date the best L1 I have ever been involved with. She was aware, and spot on for all her maneuvers. On the ground was ecstatic and asking all sorts of questions, logical questions, questions and comments that is not uncommon to be thought of only after 20 jumps or so. I was amazed and an hour later going back up with her for L2 which turned out just as good as the first. I expressed to her and her mother what kind of natural she was and encouraged a return visit with in 30 days. She has two more weeks so I am waiting with high hopes.

As said up thread, always be ready, my worst was a recurrency jump with an A licensed skydiver, 34 jumps, 65 days since last jump, can't find hacky, spinning back sliding panic as he flails for it until I tackle and pull for him. (he DID NOT train with us originally)

seen a video of a friend with his worst student: lvl1 jump. the guy did a pretty good sit for a beginner, he docked onto his instructor, death grip with both arms around him.. if it wasnt so serious, i would have had laughed.. :D

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

:D

check out fleurys videos on FB, you'll be screaming in sheer horror! :o

Sane people would have provided a link.
:o:D:D

Would have been nice!!!

Azureriders// thanks for the info.
It surprised me to hear about the incident on an A license recurrency jump.
I suppose it just goes to show why currency is king :S

:D

check out fleurys videos on FB, you'll be screaming in sheer horror! :o

Sane people would have provided a link.
:o:D:D

i would have, but he's got it set so only friends can watch.. but that doesnt mean i'm sane anyway.. ;):P:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Of course the natural's @ freefall are always the best, to actual see that what you taught is being applied versus what they think they should be doing in their heads.
But the bad one was a non eventful freefall with the guy doing quit well, but when he deployed it was a slammer, I looked at the other instructor with a oooowww! face, checked the canopy again and it was inflated.
Come in to land and I hear people on the ground screaming at me,looked up at the canopy and 2 cells were still flopping about.
I thought just end cell closure but as he got closer 2 cells were completly blown out.
I looked quickly for the other instructor who had the radio not only was she still in the air but landing,what seemed to be a mile away from me, I took off running trying to get her attention and yelling myself and soon as she spotted me she looked quickly at the canopy and without a second thought said cut away, cut away NOW!!!!!.
And so he did @ about 1800 feet with his parents hearing and watching all of this.
200 feet was about all the altitude he lost in the chop( good job by the rigger) and floated down to a stand up landing under reserve.
This one made the ole butt pucker a bit.
I Am Sofa King We Todd Did!!