peek

question for those that gear up students

I put this in the Instructor forum instead of gear because it is more related to working with the student than just about gear.

For those student rig with adjustable main lift webs only, what are your gear up steps as far as the adjustments? (Let's assume for now the connections that hold the container against the body are fixed.) I know how I do it, but I'm seeing some interesting variations.

MLW first or second?
Made with the rig off or on?

Mine are Telesis student rigs, with small, medium, and large settings rather than a traditional friction adaptor, so I set the MLWs before donning the rig, based on my "educated guess". If it doesn't fit properly, I take it off them and re-adjust as necessary.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I take a rig with an appropriate size main and reserve (I usually have several of the same size to choose from) and take the one that I guess has the right length MLW. I then put the rig on the student and tighten the straps. If the MLW needs to be adjusted I take the rig off the student and adjust it. I then put it back on the student to check the fit. I repeat if necessary.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I put the rig on the student intentionally longer than I think they need. I do the leg straps up not quite snug. I get them to lift the rig from the BOC and I adjust it until the best combination of large 3-ring and MLW/rear lateral confluence positions is achieved. Then I tighten the leg straps and chest strap.

Mine are Telesis student rigs, with small, medium, and large settings rather than a traditional friction adaptor, so I set the MLWs before donning the rig, based on my "educated guess". If it doesn't fit properly, I take it off them and re-adjust as necessary.

Same rigs and same procedures -- these rigs don't have adjustable laterals like some wings student rigs I have seen..............but it does still have the traditional friction adapter there are just pockets tomake sure the laterals are even

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Gary, I know you specifically mentioned MLW adjustment, but I'll take the opportunity to say lateral adjustments should be banned from student gear. In practice they don't always get moved and they take a lateral force when they are deigned for a horizontal one. So the hardware over time saws through the webbing. We already had more than one harness fail in that area with the Student Javelin being the most memorable.

Lateral adjustment is just another way DZOs cheap out on their student gear . . .

NickD :)

Gary, I know you specifically mentioned MLW adjustment, but I'll take the opportunity to say lateral adjustments should be banned from student gear. In practice they don't always get moved and they take a lateral force when they are deigned for a horizontal one. So the hardware over time saws through the webbing. We already had more than one harness fail in that area with the Student Javelin being the most memorable. Lateral adjustment is just another way DZOs cheap out on their student gear . . .

Well, that was going to be another subject, but now that you mention it...

Most student containers with their large canopies need to have the laterals pulled all the way tight, even on big people, so there is indeed no need to have an adjustment. I tacked them down on the student rigs where I usually jump, and it has saved hours and hours of adjustment work.