livendive

Best horizontal trainer?

So this fall/winter I'll have the chance to make some improvements to out training set-up when we move to a new airport. First on the list is adding a horizontal trainer, as I've never had one to use regularly. I've seen a couple different designs at different DZs, but didn't pay enough attention to how they were built. I'm hoping to get some input from AFF-I's on what design you've liked most with regard to making the student reasonably comfortable while in a proper body position and providing a fairly realistic "picture" while doing diveflow. Descriptions - good, pictures - better. Thanks.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

The horizontal trainer that we have at our dz looks really nice... its more or less like a creeper that is about 3 feet off the ground...

Its nice because it is on castors and can be rolled around and the student can be rotated around their center...

If I think about it I'll take a couple of pictures this weekend and send them... (I assume Kip Lohmiller played a part in designing/constructing it... for Air Rage Skydiving http://www.airrageskydiving.com/)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I actually got a full truck axle from a junk yard and buried it with cement, attaching a creeper like top about 3 feet high, to the end. This allows me to turn the student 360 degrees as warranted. Works great and use it everyday.

I am not an AFF-I, but I like the one at Chambersburg Skydiving Center. It's an arch trainer that looks like it was professionally built. It has bars and fabric and it is wide at the feet and gets more narrow towards the chest. IFRC, it actually supports the feet unlike the home built ones.

The best part is that it forces the student into a very nice hip arch, while some students that I have seen on a traditional "creeper on a pole" setup have a tendency to arch from the chest. It also rotates about the center point and rolls around.

But like I said, not an AFF-I, just my observations