ozzy13

Should USPA raise there standards to Skydive U level for ratings

Best coach I've had has over 10,000 skydives. He is not SDU (could not find in SDU directory). He fixed my sit, spent time with me on the ground, encouraged me in the air, did not have larceny in his heart, and encouraged me every step of the way. He has real-world experience in the sport. He was a natural teacher and quite personable.

There are great non-SDU coaches out there...in the beginning I see the lure of SDU, and its a good guideline, but don't rule someone out...find out what they can do and get recommendations.

For all you who don't get it:
Doesn't matter where you get the rating or about your championships...it's all about what and how you are teaching the students.

In reply to the statement above

I put this trend up not go back and forth on how much coaches should be paid . That can be another topic ..

When I posted this I had just taken the coach course and I FOUND THAT again I SAY I FOUND THAT the SDU part of the course was more in depth with teaching the student. So I wanted to see what everyone else thought about it .

I see the difference at my DZ with the coaches that are USPA rated and the ones who are SDU and USPA rated . They spend sooooo much more time on the ground dirt diving and doing drills then the uspa coaches that just go over the dive flow and jump out of the plane .

I am not saying that this happens every where .Let me make that clear.

I defiantly think that a coach should prove them self if they are going to charge. My CD made sure and said it 100 times , you are not getting the rating until you can give the student the same quality coach jump as I can . So too the say the least I earned my rating

So back to the topic . I want to know if USPA should change there course to the SDU one and why you think the way you do . That's all I was trying to get out of this .. To hear for more experience Coaches and their opinion on this matter . BLUE SKIES
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Skydiving is like any other service industry...it's up to the dropzone managers/owners to hire and fire based on performance and skill, and customers/consumers to encourage that selection process with their dollars and their feedback. Shop around, do your research before you hire the Coach. An earlier poster wrote that they chose an SDU coach because they felt there was value in it.

I disagree with you, it depends on who is running the course, I have had a couple of Skydive U coaches attend my USPA Coach course and says it was better, so again it is who is teaching it. USPA Should not be involved with SDU.
AFFI-E, Tandem I-E, S/L I-E, IAD I-E, Coach I-E
Students are our future teach them well

Reading this again was greatB|

For me too. The results of the poll are not surprising, just troublesome, because it indicates we will be continuing the debate in the future, perhaps here, perhaps not.

I reminds me that I was never able to contact Rob Laidlaw. Oh, well the Symposium is close.....