jasonRose

First Coach Course...

How to pass?

Be able to fly your body.

What to expect?

Nothing difficult, some tips on how to teach freefall abilities, how to improve students confidence... basic teaching skills.

What to study?

Here's the best part... to get your coach rating you dont need to study a lot, but to be a good coach you will need to work hard... look for every bit of information you can find, internet can give you lots of articles and stuff. Share it and discuss it with the instructors at your DZ, try to learn about every aspect of the sport and dont worry if you screw up, learn a lot from the experience.

How to be a good coach and not give crappy coaching?

I'd say respect your students, they are not baby AFFs anymore (just take care of em as if they were, but dont let em feel that way ;)) make em feel comfortable, be their friend, make em trust you, smile all the time, say good things in public and "not that good things" in private, realize that not everyone learns at the same speed so you have to be very patient sometimes.
Also learn a lot about canopy control and learn how to teach it, that's what keeps us alive :).

More things... be present on FJC of as many different instructors as you can, cuz you'll get a different trick or point of view from everyone of them. Stop by and listen every time other instructor is teaching ANYTHING to a student. Dont be afraid to ask, and remember its much better to say: "i'm not sure about that, let me find out and get back to you" that to give some crappy made-up-as-you-speak answer about a subject you dont know sh*t about.

What to do on the eval dives?

Just relax and fly, be very careful on the gear checks and dont stress out your "student" on the ride to altitude.

Hehehehe, and dont trust his count, wait till he's clear of the airplane before you go :ph34r:.

In my opinion a coach (for newbies) is there to help others to grow up as safe skydivers, you need to be mature and to help your students to understand the sport and enjoy it. Outstanding flying skills are not that important at this stage, if they stay alive and enjoying the sport they'll eventually get the skill. At 20 jumps you dont need the best headdown coach around, you need the best "attitude" coach around :).

just my 2 cents.

Start with the IRM, you can order it from USPA. You'll need a recent copy of the SIM as well. Read all of the coach stuff in the IRM, including the evaluation forms. The eval forms will tell you a lot about what to expect during the course.

Teach a bunch of FJC's at your DZ before you go to the course (under supervision, of course). Do practice evals with instructors acting as students before the course. Get good at giving signals and remembering what the "student" did. Practice debriefs. Do lots of gear checks before the course.

Read the IRM again. Do the written test before the course. Figure out the differences between the ISP and your DZ's instruction program - the ISP is what the course is supposed to be based on. Practice teaching the jump categories in the SIM that are applicable to coaches.

Jump 2-ways with newbies to get used to erratic flying & badly timed exits. Set a breakoff altitude for these jumps that matches the evals.

Don't forget to have fun too!

Lance

At 20 jumps you dont need the best headdown coach around, you need the best "attitude" coach around :)

The first time I read this I decided not to respond because I'm way too fresh to give advice.

I came back to see what other people were suggesting and I'm glad I did. You sound like a good teacher, Rory.
Owned by Remi #?

#1) Pick a good instructor. I have evaluated for a nationally known instructor who taught their coach candidates nothing, and some locally known passionate folks who offer so much to their coach candidates I want to go back and audit their course next time it is taught. If you are going to spend your money, spend it on the 'good stuff'. Other students will give good references. "It was a mind blowing positive experience" vs "ya, I learned some things".

#2) A good instructor will tell you exactly what is expected on the eval dives to pass. Open your ears.

How to pass? It'll take Newcastle Nut Brown Ale. Lots of it and very soon...say, after work today? :|

Blues,
Dave

Why the fuck would you drink anything that has the word Nut Brown in it? ;)

Edit to add: I just left something brown and nutty that you could put in a blender and drink.:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Bribes to the instructor are going to cost me extra now, arn't they.:ph34r::ph34r:
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!