DJL

Need a PDF of the IRM

USPA isn't open today and I need to read some course material. Does anyone have the IRM in PDF format?

Oh, and if you can email it to dlocke(AT)ktagroup(dot)com by midnight tonight then I'll buy you a jump at your own DZ (Continental US only).
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

USPA does not offer the IRM in pdf -- as you probably have already found out. The publication run is already small, and making it even smaller by offering a pdf alternative would make the cost prohibitive for instructors without internet access.

Some of your questions may be answered in "IRM Essentials," which is available as pdf and which contains course prerequisites and renewal requirements.

Mark

The publication run is already small, and making it even smaller by offering a pdf alternative would make the cost prohibitive for instructors without internet access.
Mark

Is there such a thing as someone without internet access. And, I don't buy that excuse...

I actually was told that the reason it was not PDF (from someone at the USPA) is because it comes from multiple sources (probably many documents ranging from old to new, word to excel, scanned to text, on a computer) and would be hard to generate as a PDF.

I volunteered to the USPA that if they send me all the documents I would piece them together in one PDF. They did not reply.B|

Anyway, I strongly believe a PDF format IRM would be more useful for instructors (think search and find) - and therefore I think more people should request it in PDF.

P.S. my offer remains open to merge the documents into one PDF. ;)

Yeah, no kidding there's no such language as "can't make it a PDF." I would be fired if I ever said that.
Anyway, I'm picking one up tomorrow afternoon, I have a scanner 20 ft away from me.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Sure you can scan it. But without the native files the best find feature you will get is an ocr of the image and the file will be big. Better than nothing, but no more useful than paper in terms of search features. :-)

Thats not totally true. I have a bound book scanner and can output 4 different types of PDFs or a word document. File size of a 300 page searchable pdf is like only 25 MBs. I can also output in full color but that will be much bigger
-Fish

Blue skies, Soft landings

Thats not totally true. I have a bound book scanner and can output 4 different types of PDFs or a word document. File size of a 300 page searchable pdf is like only 25 MBs. I can also output in full color but that will be much bigger

True... But I have a full color PDF of a 300 page document that is 1.1MB. The difference between having native fonts and vector drawings vs scans of paper, is a file size 24 times smaller. :$ And, the searchable PDF you make reference to is OCR, so it has a chance of error...

Clearly, the best practice PDF technique is to have a distiller or plugin that converts the digital file. ;-0

All that being said, if it was not a copyrighted document, I would ask you to send me the 24MB file. ;-);)