towerrat

Tandem Spinning Mal

Just a reminder to you TMs out there to practice cutaway procedures with both hands. Today after an uneventful tandem freefall I experienced a hard opening followed by a spin that rivaled a sport main spinning mal. It took everything I had with both hands to cut away, and it was FUCKING scary.

I had close to 450lbs spinning almost horizontally under a set 400 , it was not fun. Be vigilant ladies, just because it's big doesn't make it docile during a malfunction.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

Just a reminder to you TMs out there to practice cutaway procedures with both hands. Today after an uneventful tandem freefall I experienced a hard opening followed by a spin that rivaled a sport main spinning mal. It took everything I had with both hands to cut away, and it was FUCKING scary.

I had close to 450lbs spinning almost horizontally under a set 400 , it was not fun. Be vigilant ladies, just because it's big doesn't make it docile during a malfunction.

I chopped a spinning Sigma 370 yesterday. Easy cutaway with one hand (My other hand was on the peeled reserve handle.) and nice Skyhook deployment. Thankfully I wasn't loaded up to the max, though.

Thanks Bill!
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

Just out of curiosity, did you peel? On my reserveride on a Vector 2 tandem I had alot of trouble cutingaway, untill I realised I forgot to peel (took about 2 seconds). After the peel, cutaway could be done with 2 fingers. (lineover EZ)
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

What do you think of the f'genuises who want a 280 square ft tandem main. You know how fast thats gonna turn with 500lbs and a spinning streamer. Yes, for those out there, turning tandem mains into higher performance canopies is the stupidest thing you can do, and there will be fatalities, don't act suprised when it happens
Those stuck in maya, seek to be seen.

A decade or so ago, I learned that throwing the instructor's drogue release handle first helps reduce cutaway forces. Then you are only pulling two cables, instead of the original three cables.

From Bill Booth:

"Well over 90% of all reserve uses on a Vector Tandem follow a cutaway. On the Sigma it's closer to 99.9%. So you really want to be sure that your canopy release system is as reliable as possible, don't you. When you add a third (drogue release) cable to the cutaway handle, you, at best, increase the force necessary to cutaway. (Due to increased housing friction) And at worst, you lower the reliability of your cutaway system. (If that third cable jams for any reason, you can't cutaway at all.) Increased complexity almost always leads to more malfunctions, and these three cable systems prove that point quite well. That's why Relative Workshop won't put a three cable system on any of our tandem rigs."