carpenter

Class 1 medical

Especially since class 1 Medicals are only good for 6 months Talk about a pain in the ass. the only ones that need a class 1 as I remember (was a pilot in a former life) are ATP rated commercial pilots... the ones flying the heavy iron like 747's. Other than trying to be a pain in the ass, trying to hold a lowly TI to the same standards as a pilot responsible for 300+ souls at once seems a bit odd.

At what point does having the responsibility over somebody else's life warrant a medical? 1, 10, 50? When is it ok to go in with a heart attack? I think that every tandem instructor is, by definition, a commercial pilot and should be held to the same standards. I don't think the number of people that you're responsible for makes any difference. Not only is a tandem instructor a commercial pilot, but a single operator as well, making the only backup the Cypres - Yikes! I believe that every tandem instructor should have to do their Class 1 medical. I find it ridiculous that no medical is currently required, at least in Canada.
Just my own 2 Cents.
"Bodygolfing" isn't as much fun as it sounds. People get pissed when you don't replace your divets.