kansasskydiver

Tandem student with pacemaker

I think that there is only one person qualified to answer that ..... her Cardiologist!!

Anyone else attempting to give advise on this is playing with a life!

Kent
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------JUMP SAFE!

Actually I'd much reather rely on the advice from both sources... You know how whuffos are, they don't understand all the principals behind skydiving. For example a fellow jumper became pregnant and asked her doctor if she was ok to continue jumping. He said probably not because the landings were too rough (assuming they were all like round) though freefall and opening wasn't a problem in the doctors opinion.

So I'd just like to hear from a TM or those who have the experience first hand so we can make a better decission overall.
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

I've already mentioned this to ksd - but I'll put it here for other TMs to read.

From a TM point a view, a passenger with a pacemaker will make no difference. Depending on build and where the device is located you will barely know it was there. Most devices are located in the clavical/upper chest area so the harness straps will go right over it - other possible locations include the abdomen and under arm area (the former used in children/adolescents and the latter used in female patients worried about disfigurement). Personally, I've never had any problems and never felt an abnormal amount of pull in that area. If the passenger can wear a backpack without problems then the straps will not be a problem.

My device manufacturer (medtronic) told me that the only concern from a device standpoint was lead dislodgement or chest contusion (blow to the chest). Lead dislodgement isn't a concern if you've had your leads (the wires that go into the heart) for more than 2 years. At that point they would have had enough time to embed into the heart wall and it would require major laser surgery to get them out - no hard opening or rough landing is going to hurt them. Chest contusion could be a real concern as it can damage the caps (where the leads connect to the device), but I've seen lots of tandems and done 5 myself, and never seen someone go face first - so as long as you don't tumble forward with great speed its not a problem. My landings were/are horrible and I've frequently tumbled forward without any trouble.

So in short, there is no concern from a mechanical point of view after two years (and seriously, if her doctor tries to tell her that there is, well... he's dead wrong. Talk to someone else).

The real concern is the underlying condition that requires a pacer/defib. Every place I did a tandem at required a letter from my cardiologist/electrophysiologist stating that he felt there was no medical reason why I shouldn't do a tandem skydive. My doctor is such a cool dude he went to bat for me when I was getting my license. It was very difficult finding a DZ to let me do my license requirements at but at least he was supportive.

There is almost nothing different you should have to do for a patient with a pacer - the real concern is the underlying condition for the device which is why it is imperitive to require a letter from her doctor stating it is safe for her to participate.

Jen
Arianna Frances

From my experience in the tandem worl and that of the medical world i would have to say don't jump with the pacemaker/defib. Skydiving is a great thing but it's not everything.
I have had plenty of hard openings on tandems and they have left me short of breath and in pain, My passenger had bruised from the opening shock as well.
I have also had my fair share of landings that did not go so well and would looked like a planned crash.
Mailin i think that you have given some good input here, but you are not a TI nor are you in the medical filed (profile info). Checking with a doctor is a wise thing but keep in mind that unless you are asking a DR that understands skydiving then you might not be getting the right answers.
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

i would have to say don't jump with the pacemaker/defib. Skydiving is a great thing but it's not everything.

While many will agree with you, this is a personal decision - my reply was only to provide a TM with as much information as possible regarding what they will have to deal with having a passenger with a pacer/icd. If she decides to jump, great - if not, thats great too; but the decision to allow her to jump because of her pacer shouldn't be left up to the mechanics of having the device alone. Trust me, those devices are much more resilient than you think - they are made of titanium after all ;)

She will have difficulty getting a signed doctors note - most are very leary of signing their name to something as dangerous as this. I've heard of doctors not allowing patients with icd's go on amusement park rides, which is ridiculous. You get the device to let you live life as normal as possible - not in a bubble.

Jen
Arianna Frances

. You get the device to let you live life as normal as possible - not in a bubble.

Jen

And jen you have it right there. "as normal as possible". A skydive is not in anyway a normal aspect of everyday life.
I value your input and it's wonderfull that you can remain active and feel free enough to engage in sports.
As a TM i would never take anyone with a pacemaker. i don't want the added risk.
As a medic that has ran my share of calls we colect storys of our work and one of those is an older lady that had a pacemaker and yes it was strong, but flesh is not near as strong.
while riding a horse the pacemaker and clavical had problems whe the horse threw her to the dirt.
She may be riding a horse in the afterlife as she moved on to that point shortly after impact when thrown.
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

Yes, age has alot to do with it - as does the underlying condition.

Seeing as I received mine at age 20 it is a different scenario, and I'm lead to believe the person in question is also of a younger age as her parents are involved in the decision - there are many many factors that come into play. I think TM need to look at all of them.
Arianna Frances

I don't want to go into personal details but she has had the pacemaker from an early age. And thank you both Jen and Joe. This is something that's in the works but still many many many months out if it ever happens. She's been active in other activities like the slingshot (reserved bungy jumping thing) and is very active with everything else. We'll see if it's an option or not down the road
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!