NSEMN8R

Hand cam stills

Does anyone use a glove for a still camera?

I think it would be something cool to have.

It seems like there would be less safety concerns with stills than with video. The dzo at one of the places I jump is dead set against HC video because he's convinced that sooner or later student will freak out and grab onto the camera and all kinds of bad things will happen. I figure with stills, since you don't have to keep it in frame the whole time, you can exit normally and get the drogue out do your handles checks and not even put the camera in front of them until your satisfied that the jump is going to go ok. You could take some pictures and then forget about it again during deployment and then take some more shots under canopy.

I've seen some pretty small cameras out there, but I don't know if any of them would have a wide enough field of view. I would also need something that could take a remote so I could run my tongue switch down my sleeve to it.

Does anyone know of a camera that might work for this? I don't really want to use an slr. I guess my rebel xt would work if the glove was built right, but I'm thinking more of a small 3MP digital or something. Maybe even film like an elph or something if it's got a wide enough lens.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks for any replies...

I'd think that having to take pictures would be quite a distraction? Same as with jumping camera, video is easier.

But, I can't think of any digital stills camera that can do the ultra wide angle you'd need, as most have a 28 or narrower lens, except for a dslr with a 10.5 mm or 8 mm fisheye lens. That's be a pretty big camera to wear on your hand, although I know some photographers do it every now and then (Norman Kent I think) if a small dv camera is deemed too dangerous, ... :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Tell your DZO that I had problems with students grabbing my hands back in 1986, a dozen years before hand-cam was invented!

Last year I researched the whole question of adding still cameras to Handy-Mounts and concluded that suitable cameras were not available YET!
They should be available in another year or two.

adding still cameras to Handy-Mounts and concluded that suitable cameras were not available YET!
They should be available in another year or two

If its got a remote, +4 meg or better, a wide angle quality lens and it is small - I'll jump it! :P
(the attachment is a video still, but I'm sure the tehnology is available rigth now!)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

I'd think that having to take pictures would be quite a distraction? Same as with jumping camera, video is easier.

Do you think so? I'm sure it's still a distraction, but I think it would be easier to keep it in frame for a few seconds at a time than to keep it in frame the whole time.