catalin

USPA status of an European

Hi, my name is Catalin, I am 21 and I live in Romania, in the Central-Eastern Europe.This summer I'll be coming in the US for working in a summer camp in Pennsylvania (Towanda Camp, near the Pocono Mountains.I am a skydiver in Romania and I am confused because we have different rules and I don't no how my status will translate to the USPA requirements.So...I'll need your help!
In my country I am a member of the official skydiving sports club of our capital, Bucharest.The DZ-s belong to the Government and the funds for all the sky-diving events come from the City Hall.For sportsmans the skydiving activities are free.We are preparing year-round for style and accuracy, using Manta 290 main canopies for training and Para-Foil (both the old and the 2000 models) for accuracy.There is only one skydiving event for each city with a DZ ,7-10 days long each summer.When these flight periodes end, The National Team and Individual Accuracy Championships follow.
I started my training in February 2001, after a complete medical check-out and after proving my physical abilities thru several procedures.Then, ground training until April 14, 4 times a week (2 times for theory:history of skydiving, square canopies, properties of Manta 290 main, Sharpshooter 245 reserve, meteo, aerodynamics, regulations, safety procedures etc and 2 times for physical trainig outdoors and indoors).In April we sustained an exam, both physicall and theory.
40 of us qualyfied.Then we went to the DZ, outside Bucharest and we learned the packing procedures and did some more training until September.In september, the plane (we use an Antonov 2 russian airplane-11 passengers) landed and the fuel was ready.The minimum age for skydiving in Romania is 16.To ensure the maximum safety, 10 S/L jumps with Manta canopies and Cypres safety devices are required before the freefall.The standard hight is 1000-1200 m.On the 10th jump, an inspector from the central authority must be on board for supervising.Then you do another 1-5 jumps and you receive permission to do freefall.At the end of the flight period there was not enough fuel left and the wind was powerfull so nono of last year's students received permission for freefall!
However, we were cleared of the student status after the 10th jump according to the Romanian regulations and we received our skydiving licence.I have a total of 11 jumps with a Manta 290 canopy, all with very good exits, no incidents and even precision landings (in a sand circle with 10 m in diameter) for the last 6 jumps.
I'd like very much to be able to jump in the USA so, please, tell me what you think about my story and experience.Do you think that DZ owners will allow me jump and in what conditions?

It sounds like you would be cleared to do static line jumps in the US. After about 2 Static lines jumps for currency you should be signed off to do 5 second delays. After your 5 second delays are the 10 second delays, and then the rest of the freefall program. One potential problem is the type of gear that is used in the US tends to be a bit smaller then Manta's unless you are a large person. I trained on a PD210 9 cell. Another possible problem is most places require you to be 18 years old to jump at their location.
I want to touch the sky, I want to fly so high ~ Sonique

The other issue will be third party liability.
If your home Licence does not have worldwide third party coverage
they will require you to be a USPA member which costs $55 for a
new overseas member.
As to jumping bring your log book and they will put you in whatever program
is appropriate.
Andrew

phreezone,
I disagree, the vast majority of North American DZs use Manta 290 canopies for students.
A few DZs use Triathlon 230 or Navigator 240 canopies for first-timers.
Skinny students get smaller canopies after they prove that they can land Mantas softly.
For example, here in Pitt Meadows we start all students out on Manta 290 or Skymaster 290 canopies. The heaviest students start with ZP Mantas.
After they make a half dozen good landings under Mantas, they transition to Skymaster 230 canopies. After a dozen good landings under Skymaster 230s, they transition to Hornet 190s, etc.

catalin it'll probably depend a lot on where to come to the US as to how you're handled.
If you haven't done any or a very few freefalls, then the DZ owner will probably want you to do a SL jump or 2 to prove you can deploy on their equipment. The problem though is that in some areas you'll have a hard time finding a dropzone that does SL training.
If you end up at a DZ that uses AFF, you'll probably start at level 1 because the skills you have don't translate well into that sort of training.
Your best bet is to look up some DZs near to where you'll be travelling in the US and send them some emails. See www.uspa.org for a list of them.
They'll want to know the deployment system you used and the type of reserve deployment system you're used to also.