scooterskydives

gear for students

Makes sense to train students on what they are going to use as experienced jumpers. It might be argued that SOS is safer or more dangerous than hand-deploy, but if your country jumps mainly hand-deploy, then that's what makes sense to use.

Sadly, I believe that many student gear choices are more about economics than safety [:/] I have to commend our new DZO - one of his first decisions was to eliminate all the older student gear and get brand new RTS rigs for the students. Definitely makes me feel more comfortable with students jumping them. I know I had one or two bad experiences on dangerous student gear B|
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

there are some goog arguments for ripcords, although i prefer throw outs. you can get the pilot chut wrapped around your or the students body. they also do alot of dancing in the burble sometimes. you have to be on your toes with throw outs. students holding on to them is a potential hazard as well. all these potential dangers are not an issue with a ripcord. thats why alot of instructors prefer them i guess. i dont think the benfits out way the retraining to 2 handle and throw out though.

Makes sense to train students on what they are going to use as experienced jumpers. It might be argued that SOS is safer or more dangerous than hand-deploy, but if your country jumps mainly hand-deploy, then that's what makes sense to use.

You realize that SOS has nothing to do with main deployment, yes? SOS merely means that one handle both cuts away and pulls the reserve ripcord. My DZ has Wings with 2 handle systems that have the SOS system as part of it. Whether they pull cutaway or reserve handle, the system will operate in the order it should. I personally find this to be the best system for students to be on. Because I know of one case in my short career in which a student went straight to reserve when they had a slight nusiance (someone with at least 20 jumps too). Had the main not cutaway, that situation could have been very very bad.

As for main deployment. My DZ used ripcords, as we were a static line dropzone, and it was far safer than to use static line assist (i.e. use hand deploy pilot chutes with a static line). I believe that with proper training and instructors who are willing to spend the time with students during transition from ripcord to hand deploy that it isn't a problem.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

You realize that SOS has nothing to do with main deployment, yes?

Err, yeah. I've jumped SOS, even though I was trained for cutway/reserve. I was making a point that it makes sense to train students for what they are going to jump when they get their own gear. Doesn't matter if you might feel something else is safer.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

(I)t makes sense to train students for what they are going to jump when they get their own gear.

I've always found it difficult to tell which students would get to the point where they buy their own gear. In the US, only about 3% of static line FJC students make it to an "A" license; AFF does considerably better. Still, most students will never get their own gear.

Any transition adds risk. Folks who prefer SOS for their students have chosen to minimize the risk at the biggest transition of all -- from whuffo to skydiver -- in exchange for slightly elevated risk to those few who make the transition from student gear to their own.

Mark

good video scoop. i like the vintage b&w intro.
wow, that was some burble, huh? looked like a interesting opening!
after your loops, what were you trying to do next? i couldnt figure out why your arms were swept back unless you were trying forward movement. exept your legs were negative.
im not critiquing your jump, im a new aff instructor and want to know for my learning and knowledge.
im sure your instructor told you that arching would stop the chipping efect, no?
anyway thanks for sharing that video. hope aff is going well. keep at it!!!!
peace
gunner

I was trying to track. Wasnt an impressive effort but first time so shut up! :P That was level 6 so was backloops and forward movement.

Yeah deployment was.... erm... interesting, bastard line twists (as youd imagine) but they came out