fred

Tandem Procedure

Can anybody point to a website or reference as to the common steps of a tandem jump?
My dad is very much a whuffo, but he'll be doing his first tandem jump in about two weeks. I have never done a tandem, and only seen them on video.
Specifically, when does the TM/TI actually attach their rig to the student? My dad was concerned that he would have to climb out on a strut before being attached, which is obviously a whuffo concern, but when does it happen? If I was the tandee, I'd want it to happen around 2000 ft, and definately before the door opens.
What is the exit procedure? Cross arms and say, "Go" is about all I can gather from the videos I've seen.
Any other notes of reassurance I can give my dad before he jumps out of a plane at 13,000ft AGL?
I'm so looking forward to Eloy.

Generally the instructor will "hook up" the student approximately 2000' feet prior to the door opening. Since the instructor and the student are very close together when attached, it wouldn't be real comfortable for either to be hooked up any earlier.
Exit procedure? Cross arms, keep eyes open and ARCH! :)Tell him he's gonna LOVE IT! Your biggest worry should be he'll get hooked like the rest of us, sell everything he owns and become a dz bum...
pull and flare,
lisa
--

Hook up usually happens at about 3000 feet from the top altitude. The student gets the 4 connectors hooked up then the tandem master tightens the connectors and straps. At about 12000 the pair stand up or start moving towards the door if the plane is light or empty. For the exit, cross the arms, grab the harness, head back..... ready set GO!
At about 6500 the TM will tab the student on the shoulders to signal time to pull the arms back in for opening. then the trapdoor and a canopy! :)I want to touch the sky, I want to fly so high ~ Sonique

I could tell your dad every second of this skydive -if- he was jumping @ xkeys. Each dropzone does things a little differently. Call the dz he will be jumping at and ask to talk to the person who does the student briefings. Ask them to explain what happens during the class.
http://kel197.tripod.com/skydivefriendsTRIPOD/html Updated!!

Take him to the DZ for an afternoon prior to his tandem, to watch tandems land. When he sees some of the goofballs that go out there to do a tandem, he'll have no doubts about his ability to do it, regardless of the steps involved. Also, I imagine some of their post-jump enthusiasm will rub off on him......
Joe

We had a guy at our DZ when we had the king air here that would tell the women or anyone thats small in size that when they got to the door to pick there feet up and just hang off the TM and he would just fall out. Looked pretty cool!!! dont know how dangerous it could be though!!
jason

Hanging is the way that the old Vector training videos showed them exiting a Skyvan from. The student crosses the arms, tucks the heand and archs whil placing their legs between the instructors legs then the pair leave the plane.
I want to touch the sky, I want to fly so high ~ Sonique