tkhayes

Access/Excel database for work jumps/packing?

Does anyone have/use a spreadsheet or database for a log of the jumps that their staff do?

We currently use a whiteboard to sort all the jumps to be done, it is helpful, but also manual and then is transferred to a paper log at the end of the day.

I am more interested in a database that allows me to put entries in like:
Date- Student Name - Instructor Name- Type of Jump - Rig # - Video - Load # etc
and simplay have that as an permanent electronic database.

Anyone know of one out there? I do not have the whereabouts to start learning Access and design one myself.

Also anyone got something similar for packing? Something that tracks packers, which rigs they packed, who jumped them, and even monitors the jump numbers on various components like in tandem rigs?

would pay a lot for that, thanks

TK Hayes
Skydive City

TK,

Save yourself the "pay a lot" and there is no need to have the "whereabouts" to learn Access. If you know the basics of excel, then migrating over to access isn't difficult. My suggestion would be to find some young stallion(ette) who knows Access and trade off some jumps for the database. Access comes with some pre-designed templates that could be modified to fit your needs in a couple of days including reporting. Over the period of a couple of weks, you could find yourself with a master form for both data entry and reporting and the ability to manuever around in the environment quite easily.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

The problem with access, after using it a lot at our company, is it really hits limitations on multi-user type stuff... Granted, it is the best relational database outhere for "consumer use" - and with normalized tables it can run large projects, but there are many SQL options that can be run FREE and have more power under the hood.

The first post by TK indicates that now they "manually transfer" data at the end of the day...

In a PM to TK I suggested going a little more robust with the "backend" so the application could be used realtime by more than one user... A packer gets done packing, they enter in the data then... That way $ is only spent once for data entry, not twice (paper then manual transfer when the beer light comes on).

"Robust" can still be "simple" and "cheap".

Further, Access requires a license on every computer it runs on... And with how M$ makes the computers register to go live, there is no room for cheating on that... There are so many other options out there for databases...

I wish TK a lot of luck in finding a great solution for his needs...

My suggestion would be to find some young stallion(ette) who knows Access and trade off some jumps for the database.

hee hee hee... I volunteer.:P But I don't know if young and stallion apply to me.:P

Let's use the KISS principle on this. You're going from board and paper to an Access DB. It's a first step and a good one.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Does anyone have/use a spreadsheet or database for a log of the jumps that their staff do?

We currently use a whiteboard to sort all the jumps to be done, it is helpful, but also manual and then is transferred to a paper log at the end of the day.

I am more interested in a database that allows me to put entries in like:
Date- Student Name - Instructor Name- Type of Jump - Rig # - Video - Load # etc
and simplay have that as an permanent electronic database.

Anyone know of one out there? I do not have the whereabouts to start learning Access and design one myself.

Also anyone got something similar for packing? Something that tracks packers, which rigs they packed, who jumped them, and even monitors the jump numbers on various components like in tandem rigs?

would pay a lot for that, thanks

TK Hayes
Skydive City

I do alot of Access stuff here at work, and many of the databases I've set up are for multiple users, but the performance decreases quite a bit with just a few people using it. It's possible, but it can be a pain.

If you plan on using access, I've got a nice book on it that I can send you, just let me know.;)

I do alot of Access stuff here at work, and many of the databases I've set up are for multiple users, but the performance decreases quite a bit with just a few people using it. It's possible, but it can be a pain.

I am glad I am not the only one saying that.:P

Have you experienced the Service Pack Surprise? I found that various service packs applied to various versions of office make the database work on the newest version of Office and crash on older versions... Or visa-versa. I spent 100 labor hours making a access 95 database work with the 97 office edition... Or even better... Suddenly a user comes to me and says "It won't work, it says it needs to upgrade the database" after windows update added a patch.

It's quite possible to use Access as a front-end (forms & reports) to another database. So the back-end database could be Oracle, MS SQL Server, MySQL, etc.

MS SQL Server even comes with an Access migration wizard.

That said, it'd probably be easier to design a web-based solution.

Handy technical hint for anyone using access as that front-end: use pass-through queries.

It's quite possible to use Access as a front-end (forms & reports) to another database. So the back-end database could be Oracle, MS SQL Server, MySQL, etc.

Ya, doesn't Microsoft call it a "data access project". The file extension becomes .adp

Hint to SQL users. This is my favorite GUI interface to access raw SQL data... You get all the GUI "find" and "replace" features, along with filters and sort... It loads faster and works better for browsing raw data than the SQL tools that come with SQL server, like enterprise manager. You want to run a paramertized stored procedure… No problem, double click it and access will give you dialog boxes for the parameters. In 10 seconds you can make a new .adp with the proper connection string and you have access to the raw data. But it does everything client side, so it is very inefficient for huge updates.

True SQL geeks would rather type fancy SQL statements, but that requires thinking...:P

The risk… Users quickly figure out they can press F11 too and access raw data – so lock the sucker down if you are giving non DB admins access to this.

But, when I tried to implement a large project on access I ran into all sorts of problems with different versions of Office... It is hard to tell users, "you can't upgrade Outlook because the access project we use for payroll is designed for an older version of Office." Also, I used Crystal Reports as Access just did not have the balls.

I like your idea of a web interface and I mentioned that to TK in a PM... Very sleek and will work for many years regardless of the client side stuff...

TK, what do you use for manifest now? You say you have SQL on the network. Jumprun is SQL - you use Jumprun?

we run jumprun already, drove most of the ideas that are in the curent version, but it does not do what I need it to do in the way of tracking which instructors jump with whom, what rigs they use, pass/fail for AFF, etc

I developed a solution for Skydive Chicago that solves some of what you're interested in. They run JumpRun but have some minor problems with it as well, for instance communicating who is on what load (for tandems and instructors) and which instructor is paired with which students. They use my application in tandem (haha, a pun) with JumpRun and seem to like it very much.

One major problem with what you're looking for is it doesn't save the information for more than a day (it's really just for display purposes) however I could extend upon it.

When I developed this for Skydive Chicago, I charged developer rates and so they own the product and rights to resell it, if you would be interested in learning more about the product, email me at [email protected] and I can answer any questions you have as well as put you in contact with SDC, who I am sure would love to resell the product to recover some of the investment they made in it.

Matt
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

TK
We wrote an application for our local drop zone that has been in use this year. It tracks all jumps, and if an instructor or coach jumped with the person who it was. It is a multi-user data base system that it is written with. Far more reliable than Access.

It keeps track of all gear, packing, instructing, coaching etc. This can be viewed in many ways. This includes looking at a student and see which instructors have jumped with them. You can look at an instructor's record and know who they have instructed.

It handles the payment of the instructors / coaches automatically when they are manifested.

It has many more features than this currently. We have froze the features for this year's version, but are already at work on next year's features.

If you are interested call me at 1-800-254-0739 ext 2234, or Bernie at ext 2230.

Jody