EtherPilot

VIDEO...What options does this skydiver have?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRThLhjHgYE

I stumbled on this video last night. I'll guess it's not new and that plenty of people have seen it. What are the skydiver's options at this point? Does anyone know what eventually happened during this malfunction?
If freefall lasted five minutes, skydiving would replace sex.

If there's ever a time you'd soil your pants from a scary parachute malfunction, I'd say this is it — when your closing pin pops on exit, you have a horseshoe malfunction, and then get entangled in said horseshoe. Holy shit! Luckily Matt Englehart landed safely after clearing through the lines and chopping that mess. And, thanks to Brandon Lecocq sharing his video with us, we can all learn from this. Please remember to protect your handles and pins.

From the video description...

What are the skydiver's options at this point?

Crying like a bitch might be one. Those shorts seemed like a good idea until he got a line group wrapped around his leg, that probably hurt.

Otherwise, standard horseshoe mal procedures. If you're above your hard deck, try to clear the entanglement until you succeed or you reach your hard deck, then continue on with your EPs.

Horseshoe mals suck ass, mostly because there's not always a 'good' solution. Check your gear like crazy and protect the hell out of your handles/pins both in and out of the aircraft.

I stumbled on this video last night. I'll guess it's not new and that plenty of people have seen it. What are the skydiver's options at this point? Does anyone know what eventually happened during this malfunction?

2 words...hook knife.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

2 words...hook knife.

2 more ~ Pin Check

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Not a nice situation to be in, probably a skydivers worst nightmare!
as for options try to clear the horseshoe if possible. thats the reason i always carry a hook knife or 2!
if nothing i try seems to work and i am getting low i would pull my reserve and try to get as much nylon over my head as possible. get into a PLF position and hope for the best. It might also help to say a few Hail Mary's if you are that way inclined.
For this things like that, PREVENTION is the key word. check your gear and get a Pin check just before exit. also make sure that your main closing loop is in excellent condition.
In my rigging loft i have a rule, if you bring me a worn or frayed closing i will replace it free of charge!! if you bring me a broken closing loop i will charge you a $5 fine for a new one!!! also make sure that you have the correct lenght for a closing loop. i have seen to many closing loops that are way to long, because it makes closing the container easier! it should take a bit of effort to close a container.

I am not sure of the outcome of this i hope the guy walked away from this, maybe a little sore and bruises but no long lasting injuries.
sure as hell if he did walk away he will have a great story to tell at the next bonfire!!

blue and safe skies

rodger

2 words...hook knife.

2 more ~ Pin Check

A few more: don't climb out and exit with your pack against the edge of the door like that.
Remster

Hey, I remember this - It was at the boogie in Byron last October. I went out the door right before they did. IIRC he walked away without injuries.

Correct. He said he unwound himself in time to escape injuries. By the time the canopy opened, he wasn't tangled in it.

He doesn't need to take up bowling unless he wants to. He got away with it so rather than severe injuries, he was educated on gear and his own actions instead.

Edit: Because I posted from my phone and didn't proofread it :).
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I toured the UPT factory this year. During the tour I noticed the reserve chute springs sitting on the floor without their orange sleeves. I picked one up and tried to compress it against my chest. It was impossible. A UPT employee walked up to me and told me the spring is the strongest spring used in the industry to power out of problems. Not sure if it's applicable but maybe a spring like that could prove handy to shoot through a rat's nest of a main in a situation like this.

I am a total newbie but I've never actually seen a hook knife at a DZ. Not sure if their hook knives are good but I own a Benchmade folder and its been through hell and back with me with few complaints.
If freefall lasted five minutes, skydiving would replace sex.

I know UPT use a very strong spring, but in a situation like this where you have a horseshoe or stuff wraped around you, i do not believe it really matters how strong your spring is! your main concern time allowing of course is to somehow try to clear any entanglement.
i am a bit concerned that you do not know or heard of a hook knife before :S. in my opinion anyone with a "A" licence or above should wear one. i never jump without one, and sometimes i have 2 given what gear or jumpsuit i jump. a hook knife is an essential piece of equipment to have with you. but i sincerely hope you never have to use one in anger, because if you have to, things are definitley not going according to plan and you are in a dire situation!!!
so next time you are at your DZ please ask your instructor what a hook knife is and in what situation you would use one.

i am certain that most jumpers on here wear a hook knife.

Rodger

I am a total newbie but I've never actually seen a hook knife at a DZ. Not sure if their hook knives are good but I own a Benchmade folder and its been through hell and back with me with few complaints.

http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=6&level=1

I'm sure most everyone has one at your DZ, you just haven't noticed them.

There are a few things in the sport you should not compromise on price/quality with - hook knife is one!

I always carry two with me...one on the rig and one on the jumpsuit.

BOTH are accessible with either hand.

Both are cleaned every month.

Never use one on anything except an in air emergency.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I noticed two things watching the vid. The jumper started out laying on the lines, but quickly rolled over and cleared his legs. This is not to say he did not still have a horseshoe, but he was under the mess at that point. The second thing is that his jump buddy did not appear to track out from under the possible cut-away .... B|

Life is short ... jump often.

Hey, I remember this - It was at the boogie in Byron last October. I went out the door right before they did. IIRC he walked away without injuries.

I noticed one thing in this video... paying Byron prices yet jumping the Lodi Otter.

I noticed one thing in this video... paying Byron prices yet jumping the Lodi Otter.

Not sure what your point is. Are you suggesting that dropzones can't set their own jump prices even if they're bringing in outside aircraft?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Not sure what your point is. Are you suggesting that dropzones can't set their own jump prices even if they're bringing in outside aircraft?

Rightly or wrongly, the perception of Lodi AC is that they are not well maintained, and that is one of the considerations when paying $15 a jump, this is also why many people will not jump there. Paying full price for their otter just seems a little bass akwards.

Rightly or wrongly, the perception of Lodi AC is that they are not well maintained, and that is one of the considerations when paying $15 a jump, this is also why many people will not jump there. Paying full price for their otter just seems a little bass akwards.

I'm pretty sure that the maintenance (or lack thereof) on Lodi's Otter did not actually contribute to this particular jumper's problem. Look, I get it, I'm a local, I know that the Lodi situation is hotly debated; I have my own opinions on the subject, but this seems like a stretch to bring it into this particular discussion.

I'm also pretty sure that paying more for the same aircraft at a different location is not in the slightest bit unusual in this sport; every year I happily pay $5-7 more per jump to jump out of Skydive Arizona's planes at Lost Prairie than I would in Eloy, jumping out of the exact same aircraft flown by the exact same pilots and supported by the exact same ground crew.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'm also pretty sure that paying more for the same aircraft at a different location is not in the slightest bit unusual in this sport; every year I happily pay $5-7 more per jump to jump out of Skydive Arizona's planes at Lost Prairie than I would in Eloy, jumping out of the exact same aircraft flown by the exact same pilots and supported by the exact same ground crew.

I love the Sky Van when it's in Davis, regardless of where it came from. I just think some people may look at AC from Lodi, (where I jump often) in just a different light, Full disclosure if you will. I was just trying to be witty in my first post, I really did not mean to rehash the Lodi debate saga.