foreverfree

Skyhook RSL in Sigma Tandem Rig if sewn incorrectly? Comments! Elaborate explanation please?

"If the skyhook is sewn the wrong way with the pointed end of the hook facing towards the pilot chute and not towards the bag it can result in a Reserve pilot chute in tow which can be cleared by pulling the yellow tab to release the RSL"

Can anyone please illustrate or elaborate this fact in greater details?
BORN FREE
LIVING FREE
FOREVER FREE
FALLING FREE

"If the skyhook is sewn the wrong way with the pointed end of the hook facing towards the pilot chute and not towards the bag it can result in a Reserve pilot chute in tow which can be cleared by pulling the yellow tab to release the RSL"

Can anyone please illustrate or elaborate this fact in greater details?

Take a look at RWS's pictures of the skyhook. IF it is installed backwards and the TI has a total mal and deploys the reserve, the skyhook will cause a reserve PC in tow because it won't release from the loop on the RSL.

Derek

I tell you what - you have been around for 15 years in skydiving. Send me your telephone number and I would be more than happy to explain.
In fact anyone that is going to be at the dz.com Boogie I ask you to come and visist me - I will give full explanations and hopefully solve some unanswerded questions... or meet me and the whole of RWS's sales and marketing staff at PIA!
This is the season to learn - take advantage of all the manufacturers who are willing to offer up information...

Going Xtra Huge!!!
Egon

"Start doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you're doing the impossible!"

This question was answered by a recent Service Bulletin published by Relative Workshop.
Apparently a few Skyhooks snuck out the door - sewn on backwards. If you bought one of the first few Skyhook-equipped rigs, you should have done the Service Bulletin many months ago.

If not, DO NOT JUMP THAT MICRON or SIGMA!

Firstly, unless one is the Rigger who packed that reserve parachute , there is no way of checking or verifying what if it is indeed facing the wrong way?

Secondly, the yellow tab which releases the RSL can only be pulled in one direction giving no room for error if pulled in any other direction ?

Third, your manual has extensive coverage and illustrations when it comes to packing the reserve parachute from the view point of a Rigger but has little or no coverage as in the form of flowcharts or sequential deployment scenarios in case of a malfunction like this looking from an operator's point of view.

And last but not the least , neither the USPA nor RWS requires the operator to be a certified FAA Senior or Master Rigger.

Would certainly appreciate any feedback.
BORN FREE
LIVING FREE
FOREVER FREE
FALLING FREE

Firstly, unless one is the Rigger who packed that reserve parachute , there is no way of checking or verifying what if it is indeed facing the wrong way?

Correct, but if the rigger complied with all SB's (and is worth anything), then the Skyhook was checked to ensure it is installed correctly.

Secondly, the yellow tab which releases the RSL can only be pulled in one direction giving no room for error if pulled in any other direction ?

Not sure what you mean. Pull the tab (or ball if it has one still) and the shackle opens.

Third, your manual has extensive coverage and illustrations when it comes to packing the reserve parachute from the view point of a Rigger but has little or no coverage as in the form of flowcharts or sequential deployment scenarios in case of a malfunction like this looking from an operator's point of view.

Do you have a Tandem Vector Manual? It has the information you are looking for. The Sigma's emergency procedures are the same as the Vector's. The Sigma manual mainly covers the gear, packing, inspection, etc that has been updated from the Tandem Vector.

And last but not the least , neither the USPA nor RWS requires the operator to be a certified FAA Senior or Master Rigger.

Correct. What is your question?

Derek

There is a WORLD of INJUSTICE out there!
The government should look into it!
:S

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

With your experience in this industry has the thought ever occured to you as to the possibility of having a STEP THROUGH...whilst packing your main tandem parachute canopy?

or...

the slim chance of connecting the left main riser to the right side of your harness/container assembly and the right main riser to the left side of the harness/container assembly whilst assembling a rig in a hurry?

Any Riggers care to comment on the chances of connecting the skyhook facing in the wrong direction?
BORN FREE
LIVING FREE
FOREVER FREE
FALLING FREE

Horrible thoughts have occurred to me.

In 2004 I was even interviewed by two Dutch police officers that were investigating a case of sabotage on a rig and for some reason wanted my views on the subject. From what they told me about what happened, who saw what, etcetera I had to draw the inevitable conclusion that indeed that rig was sabotaged... >:(:S>:(:S>:(

(and please don't ask me to elaborate on that, not even in PM...)

The skyhook, however, bears the trade-mark of Mr. Bill Booth. I don't know him personally but he strikes me as a smart designer. As usual he again made something both simple and clever. Point the hook towards the bag and you're home free, point the hook towards the pilot and you're in deep shit...

I think I will be able to remember that and if I have to pack a reserve with a skyhook I sure as hell will check how the hook is connected to the bridle... :)

With my 'experience in the industry' one thought is etched in my brain:

DO NOT (RE)ASSEMBLE PARACHUTES IN A HURRY'

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Since only the factory can install the Skyhook and its inspected by a rigger during the assembly it should spotted. Its part of the Q/A process at RWS so it should'nt happen again and the numbers of them that could possibly be affected are availble out there from RWS.

Basically there is nothing you as a jumper can do to verify that its installed correctly. Its sewn on so there is nothing your rigger can do either. If it was sewn wrong RWS should have had it back by now for replacement.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

That Skyhook that got out the door sewn on backwards more than a year ago, was never inspected (long story). There is wording on the Skyhook itself, and a color picture of a correct installation sewn right next to it, so the rigger that tried to assemble the reserve noticed the problem immediately. Since that time, a production jig has been developed that makes sewing a Skyhook on backwards again virtually impossible. In addition, there is a large red seal, that is attached to the pilot chute end of each Skyhook, which is initialed by three separate inspectors in the production process, and then removed by the rigger at first packing.

Since each and every Skyhook installation is now inspected by 4 separate people, I think I have done everything possible to prevent a re-occurrence.

The Relative Workshop is now ISO (very different, and much harder than TSO) certified. "I" can't even make any changes without getting permission from at least 3 other people, and then filling out about 10 pages of paperwork.

AERO, the company I did work for went ISO 9100. What a pain in the ass but you are right, much more accountability on everything from customer relations to product Q.A.. You must be the first sport rig manufacture to gain this certification.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

They're the second gear manufacture in the US to get the ISO 9000 rating. Aerodyne did it as well. My limited understanding is that it is needed for military contract now-a-days.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

They're the second gear manufacture in the US to get the ISO 9000 rating. Aerodyne did it as well. My limited understanding is that it is needed for military contract now-a-days.:)

It is not needed yet, but it will be soon I am sure. Soon it will be needed to do business anywhere in the world.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals