skydived19006

Eclipse Tandem Rigs

This somewhat ties in with an existing thread, but instead of hijacking my own thread I figured I’d start another one.
As most of you most likely know the status of Stunts Adventure Equipment (manufactures of Eclipse rigs) is questionable at best. I have two of their tandem rigs and am really happy with them. Rumors had circulated that DZs would eventually be “dumping” their Eclipse tandem rigs, but I never saw it happen. I do know of one or two DZs that changed away form Eclipse, but they weren’t exactly trying to give away the rigs.
I do know that Jess Rodriguez (USPA Pacific Regional Director) was one of the people who bought Shobie (Mark Knutson) out. And I heard that they are producing rigs for the use of his DZ (Skydive Monterey Bay)
I’m curious how many DZs still use Eclipse tandem rigs. How many moved away form Eclipse, and any other information about the company, and or rigs. I’m interested in picking up another used Eclipse tandem rig in good condition (preferably dirt cheepB|).
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Two or three years ago, Bill Dause told me that he had bought the Eclipse TSO and patterns from Jesse Rodriguez. Bill was contemplating re-opening the Eclipse production line in Lodi. At one point, I was asked to help manufacture Eclipse harness/containers. I even saw a pile of Eclipse patterns in Lodi, however, that was about the time that RWS introduced the Sigma, and Bill Dause decided he could not turn a profit competing with Vector 2, so he never re-opened the Eclipse production line.
You can probably still get spare freebags, etc. from Bill Dause, just remember that since Eclipse is a close copy of Vector 2, you can install a lot of Vector 2 parts in Eclipse rigs.
If I owned an Eclipse, I would jump it into the ground, then scrap it.

I bumped into Jesse Rodriguez yesterday in Abbottsford, BC.
Jesse explained that he and Bill Dause are still co-owners of the Eclipse TSO.
When they bought the Eclipse production line, they completed the last 50 tandem rigs for their DZs in Monterey Bay and Lodi, then ceased production.
Then Jesse gave me the sales pitch on one of the 5 shiny new Eclipse tandems he still had on the shelf. He also said that he thought Bill Dause had a few unused Eclipses for sale.
When Jesse started naming the 50-or-so Eclipse instructor examiners on the West Coast, my eyes glazed over. He also explained that I should be able to cross-train for less than US$300.

Sounds like an economical way to get into a brand new tandem rig. If you don’t like the drogue, student harness ect. buy Vector and use it with your Eclipse.
Remember thought that you could purchase a new Sigma for what 12k? I don’t know if that’s even in the ball park, if it is I don’t really understand, when you break it down even if you estimate high, Main: $2500.00, Reserve: $1500.00, Cypress: $1200.00 that’s $5,200.00, and the container/harness ect. $7,000.00?
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Is it just me or do these prices sound like price gouging?
Someone posed the argument to me "well think of the profit you can make over the rigs lifetime."
I only care about how much the rig costs to manufacture and market. I think these prices are unfair.

I don't think they are unfair at all. How many testing and development rigs do you thinkg Bill Booth and crew had to build? How much do you think the design testing and manufacture of the "drouge plate cost"? How much do you think just being nambed in lawsuits (not even having to defent themselves) has cost them?

Think about it. If they could afford to sell it cheaper don't you think they would? After all you can buy brand new 3 ring based tandem systems for near half the price. I think that the added cost is worth it to have the safest tandem system on the market.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Is it just me or do these prices sound like price gouging?
I only care about how much the rig costs to manufacture and market. I think these prices are unfair.

Remember that you live in the freest nation on earth! Part of what makes America great is the free market. RWS is free to charge whatever they choose, the free market will vote with their dollars. RWS has until the patent runs out to recoup their R&D costs, and hopefully make a little money on top.
God knows that not many of us would be doing our day job if it wasn’t for the monetary compensation!
For me, I think my “old school” three ring systems will outlast the patents. I got’a wear out what I have before I would consider upgrading anyway. lol

AC DZ