Danne

Most/least malfunction prone tandem main?

What are your opinions? For this poll I chose the canopys I thought were mostly used today.

Please vote for both most and least mal-prone canopy.

Please also tell us why you think so and if you have statistics of some kind or just "a gut feeling".

/Daniel

Lot of variables in there, are they pro-packed properly or poorly, are they flat packed, are the lines maintained so they don't get "grabby", are worn lines replaced before they break, if an old EZ canopy, does it have a 4-grommet or the 6-grommet slider?

I'm sure I haven't even touched the surface of the variables that would be hard to deal with.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

3 chops on EZ All line-overs. 2 were from a packer.
(+ cleared one line-over)
Always (too) slow openings.

BT never had a strange opening/malfunction In each case the new ones open perfect.

Do not know the SET. Only a few jumps on Sigma/Icarus and Twin.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

I dont have any statistics, but it seems that our BT-80´s at our DZ, malfunction more often then our Sigmas. We have also had a few really hard openings with the BT that sustained injuries on both TM and passenger.

/D

I guess you use the old design BT80.
On this canopy you have to roll the nose to prevent hard openings. This increases the risk of tension knots.

The new design (last 2 years) has been made of a slightly different fabric. The openings at the front have been modified. And you do not have to roll the nose The canopy opens perfect soft (not extremely slow).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

No vote. I disagree with the implication of a "Most/Least malfunction prone tandem canopy."

It's about, 1) maintenance (from the risers to the top skin), and 2) proper packing (line order, line tension and manufacturer packing recommendations). You don't do those two things and any canopy will be prone to malfunctions.

I don't know anything about it, is why I asked. Like you, I've heard about it.

Right now, I'm jumping an Eclipse with an Icarus and am loving it. Especially, the primary drogue release on my leg for use in AFP. The handle is about an inch or two from where the student's main ripcord/hackey would be on their rig when they migrate to it.

Especially, the primary drogue release on my leg for use in AFP.

Isn't that the secondary?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Great idea.
I installed Nexus buckles on the leg pads of all our Strong instructor harnesses. That means one fewer buckle to connect in the airplane and one fewer buckle to disconnect after landing.
I also installed bungee retractors on most of our drogue releases .. waiting for three more kits so I can finish the retrofit process.

True, but I still believe that some designs are better/worse than others when all else is equal, like packing and maintenance.

/D

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Agreed.

Strong's 520 was by far the worst tandem main I have ever jumped. Tore up more 520s than I care to remember.
Strong 425 canopies were not much better.
Amazingly, there are still a few Canadian DZs that use those F-111 canopies. I have several gathering dust in the corner of my loft because local TIs refuse to jump them.
Malfunction rates have dropped dramatically since we converted to SET 400s. Now we average 1 malfunction per thousand jumps. Most of those malfunctions are easily traced to packing or pulling problems, not directly attributable to canopy type.

I also installed bungee retractors on most of our drogue releases .. waiting for three more kits so I can finish the retrofit process.

I think I've seen those.

They're called Sigma Tandem Systems in some parts of the country.

:D:P

Sorry. I couldn't resist. This last weekend a friend (who is a much more experienced rigger and TI than I am) were having a debate about Strong and Sigma rigs. He jumps Strong, me Sigma. He said "Man all the problems and malfunctions we keep having are on the Sigmas. The strongs are bullet proof".

The very next jump, he chopped.B|
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Actually, I have Chuck's here. Skydive Sebastian has used them and really liked how they worked. They do not use shock cord. Each drogue release has its own individual system. As a result they are not connected together where if one side fails so does the other. They are field replaceable in about one min. and existing drogue releases can be replaced with the new style.

Strong's 520 was by far the worst tandem main I have ever jumped.

Rob,

The 520 original was called the 519... I had one of those that was cutaway more times than I could count... I don't think we ever got to 200 jumps on it before a tree recovery (chainsaw involved) sent it to nylon heaven.

Thank gawd that thing's gone!

Chris